Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetGoogle · 1 month ago

How to change birth certificate (US)?

Does anyone in the US know how to get a birth certificate changed? A year ago I legally changed my first name to something much better and got everything else changed but I’d love to get a new birth certificate so I don’t ever have to deal with this name again. I tried to google and it was a little confusing. Thanks!

• A.J.

Some states allow a later addition of a father's name, or very early after birth correcting a given first name. Otherwise, they won't change a name, especially years later.

You can try asking the records people of the US State you were born in.

It's so improbable, I would bet against it.

• Speed

Some states will change the birth certificate and others will not.

Your certificate is on file at the state's or county's vital records office. You can phone them to find out whether you're in a state that allows alteration when there's been a legal name change or not, and if so, find out what's necessary to get that done.

This site might help: https://www.usa.gov/replace-vital-documents

• Speed
      1 month agoReport

Thumbs-down is just silly. I changed a spelling error on my own birth certificate, and one of our kids had a legal name change and changed her birth certificate to reflect that.

• Tavy

Your BC is you for life. It is a legal record of your birth, it cannot be changed.