In an Hoa Is a quorum based on number of units owned or number of owners in all?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Each unit gets one vote, no matter how many own (unless bylaws state otherwise).

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It can be whatever is set forth in the charter document for the HOA.  I think number of units represented is typical but the number can vary and if the charter document said number of owners, then that's that.  If the documents are vague on this point then you need to read the exact wording and interpret what it says wihtout adding anything (if it says "at least 5 owners are present" - then it means owners, not units, even if the drafters of the charter orignally meant for it to be units).

• 1 month ago

depends on the documents. each unit in my HOA is supposed to get 2 votes (to account for husband and wife or single owner voting 2x).

i would have to look at the wording, because we actually have a few people that own multiple units...so i don't know if that will count as 3 'people' for quorum or just 1 if they own 3 units.

• 1 month ago

It can be either. You have to check your HOA bylaws to see what yours requires.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

normally units with each unit getting one vote

• Brian
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Read the by laws.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In my HOA, the quorum is based on the number of HOA owners.

Your HOA may have different covenants and by-laws.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.