Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

My Weimaraner ate two bars of dark chocolate, will she die?

My 5 year old daughter gave them to her as a "treat". She thought that if humans like chocolate, so would dogs.

I am freaking out right now.... I love my dog.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

    If the dog was going to react, it would be almost immediate.   If the dog hasn't, and dark choc is more dangerous, potentially, than milk chocolate, she'll probably be fine, if producing some diarrhoea.   Be prepared. 

    It's the effect of eating chocolate over a long period of time, that can do harm to a dog.   Just make sure this NEVER happens again.   And keep a closer eye on what your 5 year old is up to!!

    • E. H. Amos
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

      100% INCORRECT; symptoms show up 6-12 hours after ingestion, NOT IMMEDIATELY.  link to PROOF of facts: https://www.aspcapro.org/sites/pro/files/m-toxbrief_0201_0.pdf

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Jack H
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Bearing in mind that the dog and the chocolate are both imaginary there shouldn't be a problem, if they're realty however, get to a vet...

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    No. Obviously not

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    So, you are (REALLY) so worried and or freaking out - and concerned the dog may DIE - why are you on the INTERNET....... instead of on the phone to your vet, or an EMERGENCY vet?  I call this a fake, TROLL POST.

    Five year old children should never BE LEFT ALONE WITH ANY DOG - (unobserved)  which is BASIC common sense & smart parenting - again - suggesting you are a troll, not a real parent.

    The dog will be VERY SICK (for sure) what exactly happens (next) depends on the TYPE of chocolate and how much in OUNCES was consumed, as well as the WEIGHT of the dog.  Too many unknowns  (info *interestingly* not provided BY YOU) so here is a link to help you decide if you need to go see a vet (on the OFF chance the post is real):

    Chocolate Toxicity meter:

    http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    Dark chocolate is worse for dogs than white or milk chocolate is.

    Smaller dogs are affected more than larger dogs.

    Call your veterinarian and do what he or she advises. He or she may want you to induce vomiting, or he or she may want you to bring your dog in for treatment.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Usually people who love their dogs (and children) supervise them - individually and together.

    I'd ask my Vet.  I had a dog get very, very sick on one candy bar.  She was on IV's and it was dicey for 48 hours.

    Not all dogs have the same reaction.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.