Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 8 months ago

Can hospitals supply you with emergency antidepressants?

I drive for Uber, and bring my bottle of antidepressants along (My schedule changes depending on the weather, surge, etc) so I don't miss a dose. While I was inside doing an Uber Eats pickup, someone swiped them from my car. Not sure why anyone would steal antidepressants, but that's where we're at. I know, I know. Lock your doors. Anyways, it happened a few hours ago and it's the weekend, so if I can't get a couple for Saturday and Sunday, I'm going to suffer severe withdrawal symptoms. If I go into the hospital, are they able to provide someone, who has documentation showing they have them prescribed, with a 2 tablets to get me through the weekend?

I've been taking them for about 7 months 100 MG tablet once a day.

Just googled, says you will expect effects of antidepressants approximately  3 weeks after commencing.

• Nancy

If you've been taking them consistently as you should, missing a couple of doses won't cause you to down-cycle. Remember when you got on them? You had to take them for a couple of weeks before they started working at a therapeutic level. It takes time for the levels to build up in your body. The same goes for when you go off them. Even if you quit cold-turkey, which you shouldn't do but gradually step down just like you gradually stepped up when you started taking them, you won't start experiencing the down-cycling from not taking them for several days. Missing a day or two doesn't do anything.

The only way a hospital will give you antidepressants is if you check yourself into their psych ward.