Drea asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Is this text rude? Or am I overthinking?

Honestly, I don't care if you cancel plans. I understand things come up. And I've had to cancel plans too in the past. But it's how you do it that matters. I texted my friend to see if she was still hanging out with me and all I get is a text with the words "no". I have a tendency to overthink things but isn't this kind of rude? Usually when I cancel I'll say something like "Sorry I can't hang out" or "No but maybe later." But just saying "no" in my mind is like saying "no screw you." This is why I HATE texting. Because some things come off wrong and it's hard to tell so my mind gets to over analyzing. 

Favorite Answer

Some people (like you & I) may give a reason for the no.

Some people just give short answers, they hate long texts.

Agree texting is easily misinterpreted.

Agree courtesy is largely gone now, but 

you cannot change how they respond, maybe ask them why next time you see them if you want to know more.

Add: I also overthink texts.

• Drea1 month agoReport

Sometimes she does give one word answers and sometimes she doesn't. You're probably right. I think I will ask. The thing is she knows I overthink texts. She does too. So I think she would understand me asking her.

it sounds like its rude

Some people aren't attached to their phones all day.  Perhaps she was in the middle of something and all she could text is "no."  If this bothers you, let her text you when she wants to do something.  Whether you accept the invite is up to you.

• Drea1 month agoReport

What about my post makes you think that I'm attached to my phone all day????? Neither am I. I did not invite her over she actually asked to come over and I checked to see if she was still coming.

See, this is why texting can be problematic. Why not just CALL HER and ask?

Have a look back through her other texts and see if giving short answers is the norm. People like you and I tend to compose a reply that includes a reason, not everyone does this. To others, a quick and simple response is what matters. 

Not rude. You are forgetting you asked a straight forward yes or no question. had she said yes, you wouldn't be demanding her to add anything to the word, so you can't reasonably expect her to add words to a "no".