Can you die from this?

I am currently on a horrible sleeping schedule because of school & break (I’m 17) so I was wondering if I stayed up for 24 -28 hours will I die? I woke up at 8pm and been up since (now 10am) I want to stay up to 10pm which will be 26 hours is that going to kill me? I’ve had multiple all nighters before but never a 24+ hr streak 

Once I stayed awake for 49 hours and for a great deal of that time I was drinking, heavily.

• Edna

You won't die from going without sleep for 24 hours; but, at the end of 24 sleepless hours, you would probably feel so bad that you would probably wish you WOULD die!!

Going without sleep for 24 hours will NOT kill you. 

The answer is an oustanding no-

There is only one person in history that has died from sleep-deprivation and that was a guy named Micheal who had not slept in 6 months.

Staying up for 24 hours won't kill you! However, you will see side-effects from it though, which include tiredness, feeling a drunk-esque feeling, even having a sick feeling etc.

I've stayed up for 35 hours once..... I was in college I didn't get much sleep the night before writing an exam, I wrote it at 8am on a Thursday, and then I took the bus home that night (10 hour bus ride), got in at 7am and then stayed up an additional 10 hours due to it. Lets just say I was on a "high" from lack of sleep, while I was tired, I also didn't feel the urge to lay down, I felt drunk etc. When I did crash the 2nd night, it was a deep/heavy sleep where I slept 14 hours, and even then when I woke up, I still felt tired as if I hadn't slept. My body was out of whack for 2-3 days after, it really took me 5 days since the "all nighter" to get back into form. 

My question is why do you feel the need to do this? Do you really have this urge to prove something to yourself? While you won't die, you are actually hurting yourself here, and quite frankly there is no need for it. Just because you are young, there is no need to be reckless, take it from me, its not worth it, learn from my mistakes.

• kelvin

no no you can not

• Stella

Yes, stay awake all day so you can get a good night's sleep tonight.

That's the best way to fix your sleep schedule.

Of course you can't.  When I was young I occasionally stayed up for 24 hours and I've now reached the age of 86. 

Very unlikely at your age. But your performance level will drop off eventually. Which is not what you want if you're a student. And sooner or later you may start falling asleep in class.