Best way to take a 60 lb. dog on a motorcycle?

Must pass through a narrow gate, and then top speed will be 30 mph. Have not yet purchased the motorcycle, open to recommendations.

• F

Not sure, just don't let him drive.

Weight being that heavy can hardly be taken up on the motorcycle because the distribution will cause either slow steering or tankslap, where the handlebar is violently smashed from one side to the other and back. Best would be cutting the seat and mounting a cage or strong bag above where the battery will be so that the dog sits with the head behind your back but I suggest buying a smaller car. There are plenty examples of constructions or carrying bags on YouTube. Dogs Humans, one life. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2LbMTcAb7U

Youtube thumbnail

Enclosed trailer is all I can recommend. Dog is too heavy to sit with you. I presume a sidecar is out of the question.

Teach the dog to sit on the tank. Dogs hate to fall off, so it will hang on.

• fuzzy

suspect you'll be pulled over if you try it on the open road. Expect you'll have "fun" training the dog

Best to get sidecar or trailer. I have a"papoose" for my 20 lb Cockapoo, but,he doesnt like  it.Met a bro who takes his dog, Shiloh,    everywhere, rides in his travel trunk, head thru a hole. But,  Shi is Much smaller, well Trained. Please Be Careful.

• JetDoc

The BEST way to carry a dog on a motorcycle is NOT to do it at all! Unless your dog has been specifically trained for this stunt, it's not safe for you OR the dog!

• Scott

The best thing to do is leave the dog home.

• Anton

For who say you cannot, Google Jeremiah Gerbracht, Lady Harley (Husky) and Sir Davidson (White GSD) -- he trained his dogs to sit on the tank (tank modified for carrying the dog.)

You can get a manufactured dog carrier -- https://www.rockstarpuppyboutique.com/beast-riders... -- with the "large" size for dogs for up to 75 pounds.

You can DIY -- bolt a platform on your motorcycle, bolt on a crate to hold the dog.  You can get many ideas by looking at Google Images and see how others have done.

• Tim D

Lots of people do carry dogs on their bikes, generally quite small dogs – terriers and small hounds. I have seen them in top boxes and in back packs, I do not think you could do either with a 60lb dog, I suspect you will need a trailer. 

I have also seen working dogs (retrievers, gun dogs and sheepdogs) riding on platforms of quads, but not on a road for more than a very short distance.

A dog that is bored or scared will be quite a handful on a motorcycle, not one that I would want to be distracted by even at 30mph.