Sump Pump Switch?

Sump pump routinely gets stuck in the "on" position.  The float is NOT caught on anything.  I'll pull it out, and manually push up/down, still with no luck.  Then I disassemble the switch, disconnect all the wires, test the switch with a multi-meter and it shows the switch works correctly?!  Then upon reassembly/installation it continues to work correctly.  It seems dissembling is resting it or something.  Is there a more sustainable way to fix this where I'm not disassembling every time?  

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Replace the switch.

• GTB
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

see if you can find a replacement switch; I suspect the issue is wear on parts of the switch

• Rick
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Maybe the float is to light to turn the switch OFF ????

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

when it sticks on is the float an lever up in the position it be if water was there?  If so then you have a mechanical bind somewhere.  Some PB blast or WD40 on the joints might fix it.  If the arm drops but it keeps running then your switch is probably bad.  Which can be replaced or might be time to replace whole pump.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

The sump pump switch float is full of water. Buy a new sump pump and you get all new parts. A new sump pump costs less than $300 at Granger excluding sales tax.

• 8 months ago

my guesses -- 1. the float itself is near waterlogged and needs to be replaced 2. the hinge part is binding up somehow and preventing the lever from activating. This could be some sort of corrosion or deposit from minerals in the water, or even wear from years/decades of use.

Source(s): grampa
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.