Are there reasons not to buy an identical sump pump in anticipation of replacing it in 7 -10 years? ?

I recently put in a combination sump pump with a battery back up since the original pump would operate very 2-4 hours in dry conditions and multiple times per hour during the spring.  The original was a nasty builders quality unit less than a year old and, I suspect, on its way to failure. 

Installation of the new unit was complicated by the depth of the pit (8 ft) requiring extended piping and care in lowering the sump pump into the deep pit.  I am very pleased with the new unit and feel confident in the system as installed.  By having the identical pump, this greatly simplifies replacement  especially with the depth of the pit. Also, in the event of failure the primary or back up, I can simply drop the replacement in with the same plumbing.  If I have the replacement sitting an a shelf - dry and unused - are there issues with deterioration that may render it unusable over this span of time?  

I don't think a normal sump pump can lift water from the depths of 8 feet plus the depth of your basement. It sounds to me like you have a well pump. The only issue I can imagine is normal deterioration caused by hard water. It's wise to keep a spare on hand.  

You can buy the additional pump if you want.  Not the batteries.   Those have a shelf life and then  they die.  The pump is hard metal so no deterioration.

Though, I would look to a solution to your problem so it never floods.  Ask around to septic guys or landscapers...or building contractors because this can be corrected maybe by French drain all around the house or elimination of the basement.?

• Droopy

Think someone mistaked a old well with a sump pump hole. Most sump pump holes I've dealt with are few feet deep.  Like kiss me kate said at 8' you easily could be in the water table. 

I lived in a old house years ago that had a hand dug well that was bout 10' deep.

I have 2 backup pumps in the basement that the b-dry people hooked up with nice flexible hosing for emergencies--so I doubt there would be an issue-or they wouldn't have bothered. wth is your pit so deep??  it might be sitting in the water table??  mine would be if the pit was that deep??

I wouldn't buy a backup. My main reason other than basic cost is the problem with the battery pack. It may not have a self life of more than 4 or 5 years.

The likelihood you won't NEED a replacement in 7 to 10 years, and that a BETTER pump will cost less in that time is one reason.

• Rick

7-10 YEARS IS a bit much to plan ahead for such a small thing, UNLESS your basement would flood without one !!!

• Robert4 weeks agoReport

I think without a functioning sump pump my basement would flood. To me, this is like buying insurance - you never think you'll need it but sometimes you do.