What's the best way to quit smoking?

Which way has the highest success rate? Quitting cold Turkey, slowly reducing the amount you smoke, or using nicotine replacement products such as patches and gum?

Answers from people who've previously quit preferred

Give yourself good reasons why people do not to smoke. 

Reason 1 second hand smokers dies earlier than smokers, if you don't want your neighbours or loved ones to die because of second hand smoking, you ought not to do it.Reason 2 It causes air pollution. We tried hard planting trees for oxygen, we shouldn't be adding on carbon dioxide. All of us plays a part. 

Reason 3 It waste time and waste our lives away. I keep myself healthy with a clear mind, having a healthy body I can get more jobs done easily. I get fulfillment having a well done job. 

Reason 4 I don't have to keep seeing people's troubles and struggles with other smokers around the same bin having the same few problems. Look at the non smokers that are living their lives to the fullest, being creative in solving problems. Being stuck to only one wrong way smoking to temporary solve the problem. But facing the problem with a clear heart and mind with gained knowledge brings you wisdom. 

The best way to quit is to look at heavy smokers and ask yourself if you want to be like them.  Nearly all heavy smokers are very liberal and suffer from a number of other afflictions such as obesity, drug addictions, or mental illness.  Nearly all of these liberals have poor personal hygiene.  You really don't want to be like that, do you?

TRY DOING SOMETHING ELSE ADDICTING TO GET YOUR MIND OFF IT. 

Cold turkey! 

Other methods are useful for the nicotine addiction, but most smokers have a more psychological addiction -- the smoking is part of an image they carry in their heads about themselves and even vaping just doesn't help in quitting. That's why so many smokers "can't" quit. smoking is almost like a comfort food.

So: cold turkey, not just with the ciggies, but with parts of your life style. You might need to let go of some good friends, and even your job for the non-smoking to take.

Oh, and see if you can find an EFT practitioner -- it's not hypnosis, but it can be highly effective in changing the things that need to be changed

• k w

I tried 3 times to quit, the last time, I just bought a pack at a time, and kept them in a ziplock baggy to keep them kind fresh, then whenever I wanted a smoke, I waited 20min, even after a meal, delay delay delay....was key for me....then one day I was down to just one, before I went t bed....and I never bought anymore......

• Jesere

The best way is to cut down slowly, nicotine patches are not really helpful in the long run. Nicotine is what you want to get off of. If you cannot slow turkey see your doctor about the medicine which helps you quit "slow turkey". These meds block the nicotine from getting to the pleasure center of the brain. Nicotine is the addictive substance known to man.

I was a Drug and Alcohol Counselor and learned this from books and patients alike.

Cold turkey for me. It took more than one try not to take it up again, but the last time, my fourth I believe, it took.

I have been a heavy smoker in the past, but the final time I quit I was a fairly light smoker. They're quite expensive here, so I made a pack last three days if I could.

My doctor said that was the best thing I could possibly have done for my health. Better than losing weight, eating low fat, eating more fruits and veggies, getting more sleep, getting plenty of exercise. The health risks of smoking are worse than all those combined.

Being diagnosed with an incurable disease like emphysema is a good motivator to quit cold turkey.

There is no such thing as "tapering off" of smoking just as there's no such thing as "tapering off" of alcohol - once you do it again, you're just as much a smoker or alcoholic as before you "quit".

Likewise, nicotine patches and gum don't substitute for the nicotine in cigarettes because they *are* nicotine.

You can't stop a bad habit by feeding it.

Before you can stop any bad habit you have to have the motivation it takes and be smarter than the average smoker (could you hear the Yogi Bear tone?).

Although it was a diagnosis of emphysema that motivated me to quit, I've studied the issue for quite some time and came up with the "motivation" concept.

For those who want to avoid disease, quitting is still easy. Simply carry an empty cigarette pack around with you in the place (pocket or purse) you normally kept your cigarettes. Since most people reach for a smoke without thinking, once they pull out an empty pack, it will remind them that they're trying to quit.

If necessary, a little "insurance" can be used by sliding a photo of a loved one into the wrapper - someone who would be devastated if something bad were to happen to you. If seeing an empty pack doesn't remind you, photos of someone you care about a lot will.

It still won't be an easy task, but you should start feeling the effects in a couple of weeks or less.

(BTW - the emphysema diagnosis was fifteen years ago. I was told it was a progressive disease with no cure - and was sent home to await my fate. Fortunately, it was caught early enough that I was able to beat it [on my own] in spite of the doctor's prognosis. I am a 15-year survivor.)

• I gave up by sheer bloody-mindedness. I had tried to give up on previous occasions but decided this time I wasn't going to smoke ever again even if it killed me. It didn't - that was over 40 years ago.

Stop being a F#CKING PUSSY. Look at what it is DOING to YOU. Your HEALTH...and your WALLET....the PEOPLE AROUND YOU.

Stop smoking. Stop drinking. Stop overeating.

Watch Graham Stephan on YouTube.

GROW UP!