Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 8 months ago

If you get involuntarily bumped from a coach seat, will they put you in a first class seat if it's the only one available on the next flight?

It's happened to my friend once, but they'll usually upgrade someone else and put you in coach.

• Sammy

I can tell "regular" flyers quite simply: The trouble you're likely to get is inversely proportional to the money you spend.

It is not impossible, but you certainly shouldn't count on it!

• Mrsjvb

maybe.maybe not.   you are just as likely to get bumped to basic economy or even standby.  

Except in rare cases, you will end up with the same class ticket/seat that you purchased.  If there is only a First Class seat open, they already have a list of passengers waiting for an upgrade based on their frequent flyer or other status.  one of those people would get upgraded and you would remain in the coach fare area (whatever they call it on your flight.)

• AJ

No. If your original ticket was for coach, you will have to wait until there is an available coach seat. They will not upgrade you to 1st Class.

MAYBE

It is possible.

EDIT

Airplanes are regularly struck by lightning not much of an issue in flight.

It can happen. Will it happen to you? Probably not.As you are asking you are not a regular/frequent passenger.

Many in line for an upgrade. Some ahead of you and some behind.

It's an option but very unlikely, especially for involuntary bumps.

One time I volunteered to take a later flight and I ended up on the same flight but in First Class.  I didn't get any compensation but I got a free meal so it was nice

It is more "may" than "will". Also realize many passenger aircraft do not have a business class or first class. 

However, if you are actually bumped from a flight due to overbooking you generally have more rights than someone who misses their flight due to weather/whatever.  If you find yourself being bumped then ask the gate agent for an upgrade on the flight they re-assign you to. Be clear, but also be nice about it.  It wasn't the gate agent, the flight crew, or anyone at the airport that caused you to get bumped.More common than being involuntarily bumped is for the gate agents to ask for volunteers who will fly later in exchange for compensation.  If that happens then raise your hand and tell them you want an upgrade on the replacement flight instead of some other compensation. I would particularly want to do that if it is a long flight. If they agree then - be nice about it - get the boarding pass for the replacement flight and verify your seat is "up front" before you walk away to wait.  Also ask for a pass to the airline's airport lounge (if they have one).   

Not so much "will" as "may."

I've been bumped and got a Business Class upgrade on the next flight.  My sister got bumped, and was upgraded to First Class.

I guess the question comes from trying to find out whether something was the "only one available."