Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaToronto · 1 month ago

I hate snow. Will I regret moving to Canada?

I come from the tropics, but I live in a warm part of New Zealand. I once went to a cold mountainous area in New Zealand and there minimal was snow and the car's lock froze for a bit. Ever since that visit, I more or less realize that I hate snow. It does look beautiful with green trees mixed in. But if it's a complete blanket of white snow it's depressing for me.

I may have to move to Canada if circumstances force me, but will I regret my move if I hate snow? I'm going to Ontario.

18 hours ago

You sound like an old person.  You will hate Canada because Winter means snow.  Move to Mexico. Canada has allowed for Marijuana for personal use to get us through the winter.

Yes, yes you will regret moving here.  Because snow and cold.

I live in Waterloo, southern Ontario, where we probably get the least amount of snow and the 'warmest' winter temperatures in mainland Canada.  (The southern coast of BC has warmer winters than we do, but their summers suck.)

The trees are bare by the time it snows. Arrange for a local to help you get the right clothes and boots.

You could try England if you don't mind rain.

Probably, especially in winter.

If you hate snow, than yes!

Depending on which part of Ontario you are in, it can snow from October to May (areas in the north and northwest espically) , typically in the south it snows from late November to mid March (sometimes into early April). If you are in the snowbelt areas (areas along Lake Huron, Muskokas, Lake Superior region) they can see up to 20 feet of snow per winter! Generally everywhere else it's 4-5 feet of snow in an "average" winter.

Edit:  He did not live in the City of Toronto by rather outside the city in a rural area.  I have no reason to think he lied about having to tunnel out of his house. 

l

A friend moved from Kent in England to suburban Toronto for work. He and his family thought it was great the first time it snowed so much he had to literally tunnel out of his house. They took lots of photos and sent them to their friends & relatives in the UK.  He still thought it was fun the second time it happened, but not by the third time.  He also didn't like it when an ice storm knocked out the power for three weeks. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-JD-RGIMAA0fnE.jpghtt...

• Jay P
      4 weeks agoReport

The largest single snowstorm on record in Toronto took place on December 11–12, 1944, when 57.2 cm (22.5 in) accumulated, with 48.3 cm (19.0 in) on December 11 alone. That's a lot of shoveling but no tunneling required.

• Bryan

I am about an hours drive from south Ontario. Most people in Canada live close to the US border. If you move to Ontario you should expect snow on the ground for at least 4 months and likely 5. The days will also be short during that time of year, if that matters to you. Still, many millions of people take it for granted and live there lives in snow country. I suspect you will get used to it.

If you want to be in Canada during the winter and see little to no snow, then the Vancouver area would be your only choice.

Bring a LOT of money, as housing there is sky high in pricing.

• Foofa

You WILL see snow in Ontario. But also a lot of freezing rain and just the bone chilling cold of a snowless winter. I've been all over the world, hiked glaciers in Iceland and the coldest I've ever been was one January in Toronto when I couldn't even breathe because the chill was so severe. I'm a California girl who married a Torontonian and refused to go see my inlaws for four months out of the year. However, if you have Seasonal Affective Disorder this is something that can be treated with light therapy. This is pretty cheap to come by and you can buy a lightbox on Amazon for under $20 CAD.

i would go somewhere else, i heard canada has a lot of snow