I m trying to find out on how to insulate the heating pads I m using for my hermit crab. I don t know what material to use, help please?

I have two heating pads attached externally on the sides of my 20 gallon tank to heat up temperatures for my hermit crab. One of them is 4 watts and since the other one feels about the same temperature to the touch I can only assume that it is 4 watts too. The temperature inside isn t warm enough for it so I m trying to make it warmer without buying too many pads and wasting electricity when all I d have to do is insulate the heating pads and the majority of the heat they produce is directed to the inside of the tank.

• Daisy

Consult asbestos removal Derby

Whenever I used heating pads on the aquariums for my reptiles, I always placed them *under* the tank so the heat would radiate upwards. Adding either coarse sand, soil, aquarium gravel, pine bark, ground walnut shells, or other stratum ensures that the heat is distributed evenly and that whatever is living in the tank does not come in direct contact with the hot surface. It also allows the critter to control its own temperature and move about to warmer or cooler locations.

Source(s): Semi-professional herpetologist for 30 years.
  • Carson

Isn't some sort of heat lamp used normally used?