I m trying to find out on how to insulate the heating pads I m using for my hermit crab. I don t know what material to use, help please?

I have two heating pads attached externally on the sides of my 20 gallon tank to heat up temperatures for my hermit crab. One of them is 4 watts and since the other one feels about the same temperature to the touch I can only assume that it is 4 watts too. The temperature inside isn t warm enough for it so I m trying to make it warmer without buying too many pads and wasting electricity when all I d have to do is insulate the heating pads and the majority of the heat they produce is directed to the inside of the tank.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Whenever I used heating pads on the aquariums for my reptiles, I always placed them *under* the tank so the heat would radiate upwards. Adding either coarse sand, soil, aquarium gravel, pine bark, ground walnut shells, or other stratum ensures that the heat is distributed evenly and that whatever is living in the tank does not come in direct contact with the hot surface. It also allows the critter to control its own temperature and move about to warmer or cooler locations.

Source(s): Semi-professional herpetologist for 30 years.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Carson
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Isn't some sort of heat lamp used normally used?

• doolas1 month agoReport

Buying heating lamps introduces the variable of needing to contain the moisture and not letting the crabs environment dry up, as they require a humid environment.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.