Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Can my mom take my door off?

I just turned 18 years old and my mom recently threatened to take the door off my room. Can she do that? Ya I’m living in her house (I’m going to college in 6 months) but it’s still my privacy and my room and I’m an adult now so... is she ‘allowed’ to?

• Ann
    Favorite Answer

It's her house, so the rules are hers as long as you live there.  I would recommend that you don't do anything to heighten her suspicions of what you do behind closed doors.  Don't smoke pot (or anything else), don't drink, and don't watch porn. If you're still in school, spend your time studying, watch a little t.v. or work on your i-pad or phone, and sleep.  Keep your bed made and your room reasonably clean and neat.  Know that you will be gone in 6 months.  You could go out and get a job after school, and that would lessen the time you're at home in your room.  It would also give you a chance to save up some money for college clothes or whatever. It doesn't matter if you're legally an "adult"--it's still her house.  

Her house - her rules.  What did you do to make her want to do this?  Instead of asking, a question, about your door............you should stop and think about what YOU did to make her want to do this.

• Jane

Yes she is allowed, it's not illegal. But it is a strange thing to do.You haven't said anything about what has led to her making this threat- why do you think she wants or needs to do such a thing? Maybe add more info

YES... ITS HER HOUSE... YOU DO NOT OWN IT.. 

• e9601:

Oh yes. Her house, her rules.

Unfortunately, yes.  She can do whatever she wants with the house, because it’s her house.

if you are under her roof she may well do so

Unfortunately she can because it's her house. No offense but being eighteen doesn't make you an adult. You're gonna look back on your life at this age and realize that you weren't as grown up as you thought and that's okay but age is just a number. It's what you do and how you act that makes you mature and adult like.

• Kitten2 months agoReport

she/he might live in the uk where 18 is an adult

yes she can and yes she will

Yes, that's allowed. She can take off all the doors, or just not allow you to live there.

Yes.  Her house, her rules.