PC Build HELP!?

I built a pc a while ago with 500gb of HDD. I recently bought and upgraded to a 1 TB HDD and tried to install windows 10 on it. Unfortunately a message pops up every time I try to boot it. Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key. However, I've already tried going into BIOS and selecting the device I want to boot on and it still gives me this same message. I've tried everything! PLEASE HELP ME BOOT MY COMPUTER!

The 500gb drive should have been removed when your tried to re-install Windows. For whatever reason, having two bootable drives can sometimes mess up the boot order, even if you change the Boot Order in the BIOS. 

Other things that can cause boot issues is changing a BIOS option called CSM or Secure Boot. 

I would suggest using a bootable program like DBAN or GParted to erase the contents on the new 1tb drive. You can then download Windows 10 version 1909 to a Thumb Drive using the Media Creation tool. 

• Steven

Fix this issue by following it:

Restart your computer.

Press the necessary key to open BIOS menu. ...

Go to the Boot tab.

Change the boot order and list your computer's HDD first. ...

Save the settings.

Restart your computer.

My guess is you did not properly install Windows 10 on the new drive, so even though you are pointing to the drive, it doesn't see a valid boot drive, giving you the error. Try reinstalling Windows 10 with only the 1TB drive connected.

• Lv 7

disconnect the one drive and install Windows. then connect the other and format it.

How did you migrate your system from the 500 Gb HDD to the 1 Tb drive? Proper mirror software should have sorted this for you. If you don't have and didn't do this, try cnet.com's downloads for freeware version.

you get the message because the BIOS can't find the boot sector on the new HDD. If you used mirror software and it still can't find it, try a hard disk manager program that runs from DVD -- cent.com's downloads for freeware again. Ny HDD manager program is capable of making a disk bootable -- but this has to be used very carefully, since it is also capable of destroying the contents of the disk

Source(s): grampa
  • David

You say you tried to install windows 10 on the new hard drive. Only one of two possible problems:

1) your new hard drive is dead from the factory

2) (more likely) you messed up somehow in trying to install windows 10 on the new hard drive.

Reinstall windows 10. This time, get somebody to help you...

normally a disk has to be BLANK(thats not the same as it had stuff on and then it was deleted). Its helpful and best to REMOVE(detach cables from) any other drives in a system to complete the install. Newer Drives connected to old systems may not operate well and the bios may not be capable of operating the drive to its best. The installation process will work out the best way to setup the drive using your bios features. If your mainboard is more recent then it may have SATA ports that are DATA(not interrogated during boot process) drives only. make sure you understand the COLOUR coded drive sockets and always connect to a BOOT drive socket nominal socket 0.

Windows 10 Won't Boot? Fix it with Startup Repair and BootRec Commands

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-windows-10-wo...

• Tasm

Put the cd in and reboot