do you think we should be allowed to do homework in detention instead of punishment essays ?

last Friday I had an after school detention it lasted for 1 and a half hours we had to sit at our desks in total silence and write a punishment essays on why we had been put into detention, by the time I got home , it was time for homework so my whole evening was ruined, if we had been allowed to do homework in detention I would have had more freetime, the teacher that put me in detention said detention is a punishment and NOT time to do homework, she said that the essay is to make us think about why we were being punished so hopefully we will learn from it and not have to be punished again, is this fair ?

• Favorite Answer

If you was allowed to do your homework at detention it would be considered a reward and not a punishment. Detention should mean MORE work because it's a punishment for being naughty or breaking rules. If they allowed homework to be done in detention, a lot of students would get themselves sent to detention so they can quickly get their homework done in a quite environment with a teacher on-hand to help. It would be a much better option for many kids than finding a quite place to do your homework at home with all the chaos going on.

Count yourself lucky that I am not your teacher because I would have made you do lines in detention and then given you EXTRA homework to do a full essay on why you deserved detention and how you will avoid detention in the future.

Also, your lucky you was not at school when I was because back then, children would only be allowed to speak when an adult gave them permission and naughty children would get a few lashes from a bamboo stick on their bottom in front of the entire school. Then, if you went home and told your parents, your Dad would do the same as a punishment for getting lashed at school.

You have no idea how good you have it today and how easy school is compared to how it used to be. What I find strange is the fact that kids today complain and moan about being treated unfairly when in reality kids have never had it so good.

Obviously, I don't agree that children should be hit by adults but I do believe that punishment needs to be much tougher than it is today to make kids realise that it's much better to behave at school and do whatever the teacher tells you.

• ?
    1 year ago

Yeah, I think that it would be more productive to work on homework during detention. Some of the types of kids who land in detention are also not the type to do homework- so it would be considered added punishment. 

• Ann
    1 year ago

Becky, you're obviously not too much of a "good girl" if you did something to earn a detention and then you whine about it.  Detention is a punishment, designed to teach a lesson.  The lesson was to have been that you missed out on your free time.  You didn't learn from it.  The teacher was exactly correct.  The next time you think about doing something that could earn you another detention, weigh the consequences as to whether it's not worth doing something to get punished for and you'll follow the rules, or you'll take your chances and get another detention.  Which do you think would be the more mature response?

• ?
    1 year ago

I'm afraid you're not very bright.

• 1 year ago

Well, you obviously have not been able to learn exactly what detention is all about. You are being punished for something you did wrong. Detention is not a free-for-all study hall.

Please, please stay in school.

1 year ago

maybe but thats not the way it works

• ?
    1 year ago

Yes. Just making you all do the very same homework you have to do anyway is hardly a punishment. You shouldn't receive only the same work the non naughty kids did.

• 1 year ago

Yes, it is fair.  If rewards were given for breaking the rules, the rules would not exist to control the chaos.  But more importantly you learned a great lesson in this process that "time", even doing something you don't like doing, is "valuable".  So the next time you are up to no good, you realize what you are risking when you do, or maybe even come to the realization that the your wasted time being bad isn't worth it.

1 year ago

Yes, of course it's fair. Doing homework in detention is not a punishment.

1 year ago

🥴 No.

Detention doesn't teach you anything. Punishment essays make you remember. It's good discipline and less time consuming.

Source(s): I did the detention bit. 🥴 1. It's redundant practice. 2. It's mostly a chat session with friends.
  • Teva
    1 year ago

No its not fair. Why don't you just tell them you're not prepared to do detention any more? What do you think they'll do? That's what i did when i was at school and it turned out they couldn't do anything.....so on the back of that i told them i wasn't doing homework again either, and never did.