Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 month ago

Recording on GarageBand?

So, I am trying to record a metal record on GarageBand. I have an orange crush rt 20, and I sounds like it’s under water. I don’t know how to mix or master to make it sound good. What can I do?

i don't know, you didn't give much info. are you miking it or using the line out? if you are miking it, what mike are you using? what does "underwater" mean?- do you have a flat input level range? what is your input level range? what are you using as a digital input device? 

• Tony B

No amount of mixing is going to fix a recording of a bad sound. If it sounds bad then, obviously, you won't want to master it.

You need to address the actual problem: why does it sound bad? It could be your guitar, the amp, the mic (or whatever you are using to record it), the interface, the settings you have etc. etc.

I'm no music expert, nor do I own GarageBand, but usually when you sound underwater it's because there is too much bass or low end. You should go on YouTube and find some GarageBand tutorials for the basics. Then once you know how to change your EQ settings, maybe turn down the bass, up the treble and mids, or just play around with it until it sounds good. Those knobs on your amp are also EQ settings, so mess with those, too. There are other tutorials online that you can learn from to get a good guitar tone. There are probably some virtual amplifiers you can download, too, to get different tones.

• Jim1 month agoReport

There are mix/master tutorials as well.