Jim
Jim asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

Handgun for Hiking?

When I hike alone on abandon trails in winter where I expect to see no other hikers or snow shoe people I might consider carrying a hand gun.  Low weigh is important, but perhaps enough caliber to stop a cougar or a wolf???   I have a .22 but it is too small. I have a .41 Magnum but it is to heavy.   Any suggestions?

• Mr.357

Any of your center fire semi-autos should work.  A wolf might be a little much for the 9 mm loads.

Traipsing the foothills/ wilderness, I carried a Colt woodsman .22LR.

It is about awareness,,spotting tracks of hazardous animals.

They don't want confrontation, just the sound of a gun, sends them the other way.

A cougar gets you from behind, you won't have time to react,,cougar wins, no mater what gun you carry. A blind shot may fend it off, good luck with that.

Funny, for all my years, never had to pull my gun once. My hiking stick deals with rattler season.

• Sammy

My preference would be a Model 19, 2 1/2". I only worry about bipedal predators.

• Robin

get a 2 or 4 inch pythong in 357. if you are in bear country you will need bigger

A revolver is far less likely to jam. A good Ruger 101 in 357 mag or 327 federal mag would be good.

• Matt

Depending on how cold it will be when you're hiking could sway or decision from a revolver to a semi auto. Semi Auto's have more moving parts and if moisture is introduced to it in extremely cold temps they can lock up. If you want a semi auto go with a Glock 22 (.40 cal which is plenty for a wolf or cougar). If you want a wheel gun go with a Smith and Wesson K frame revolver in .357. 

What ever option you choose, PRACTICE OFTEN! If you get charged by a cougar you'll have to be quick on the draw so practice drawing just as much as shooting. It won't do you any good if you can't hit what you're shooting at or can't get the gun out in time.

• Sandra K
      4 weeks agoReport

I have no use for Glocks. Why oh why does anyone? 

• BOBBER

a small 38 caliber revolver would be a good choice

A .380 would work, or a .38 or a 9mm.  A .357 or a 45 has too much kick.

thats up to you, personally, i hate guns myself

• Sammy
      4 weeks agoReport

I hate being preyed upon.

That's no good against snakes though is it? You'd miss most likely and they're fast. I suggest a belt with a frying pan attached. 🐍

• Ding Dong
      4 weeks agoReport

Yes but is 7 thumbs down fair? I thought a frying pan is a good weapon against a snake, I don't see how it's bad advice. BONG!