Health help?

My husband and I have no health insurance. We've been getting by with online doctors and good rx cards. But on Christmas, my husband, who has been training to be a strong man, heard a loud pop in his back while deadlifting. We go to a chiropractor who offers his services at a reduced rate for those without insurance, and he said my husband really needs an MRI. We make too much as a married couple without children for CT free healthcare, but too little to buy health insurance. I'm checking absolutely everything I can to get him help. He is in so much pain he can't sit, stand, walk, or even sneeze without being in horrendous pain, and he won't let me take him to the hospital. I don't know what to do. I even tried to figure out how to work so we come in just below the limit for income, but that would be less than 20 hours a week for each of us, and we wouldn't be able to pay our bills.

Let me be blunt here, your husband needs to stop acting like a brain dead idiot here! He has a dislodged disc in his back (maybe several), and these discs support/hold up the spine, one wrong move literally and he's wheel chair bound for life! He thinks he can't afford **** now? Just wait until he is paralsyed and then has to cover all the expnses to upgrade the house, to potentially hire a 24/7 nurse, he may never be able to work again etc....... this is his reality if he doesn't smarten up!

He needs to go get an MRI done NOW, not tommorow, not a week or year from today, now! If its a disc like I suspect, then he'll need surgery for it, and recovery time will take 4-6 weeks, depending on how well he follows instructions.

This is not a game here.

• David B
      4 weeks agoReport

Are you kidding?? Who are you to give such ill informed advice as well as scare the stuffing out of all concerned.
      Could he have torn his disc.....yes.
      Will it heal on it's own, without an MRI....95%  do, within 12 weeks.
      How do I know?? Working for years with a spine surgeon.

I agree w the quiropractor, your husband needs an MRI urgently.

Have you looked into obama care?

It also could be an option to look into medical tourism. In Mexico an RMI costs the equivalent of 500 usd tops and you can see a well trained and English speaker specialist for less than 100 USD the consult.

• David B
      1 month agoReport

Getting a $2000-3000  MRI scan will not alter your treatment at this point. A torn annulus disc, without a herniation affecting nearby nerves, is treated with time and supportive care, as the body heals itself.

You don't need medical insurance to see a doctor and a doctor doesn't  usually need a MRI to diagnose a herniated disc, which is likely to be the problem.  He could go to an urgent care clinic and get diagnosed.  The doc can provide pain medication and if your husband asks, a referral to a physical therapist.  The primary treatment is often pain medication and stretching/strengthening exercises.  

If he has BACK pain, then he should not need an MRI

If he has LEG pain, and a pinched nerve from a herniated disc is suspected, after a good physical exam, then he may need an MRI. 95% of those with a pinched nerve from a herniated disc will get better, on their own, without treatment, in 12 weeks.

If it lasts longer, or is getting worse with weakness, trouble controlling the bladder or bowel, then he may need an MRI before seeing a spine surgeon.