Why can men get sterilized but women can’t? ?

No doctors will burn my tubes or give me a hysterectomy because I’m 23 and may “change my mind” about having kids (even though I’ve felt this way for like 13 years now, and I hate babies) so I’m supposed to just go on suffering and having periods for no reason, yet if a 23 year old man wants a vasectomy, he can get easily one even though there’s literally no suffering for men 

Favorite Answer

Tell them you're trans. They have no qualms are sterilizing and neutering fricking _children_ if they say the magic T word. They're giving hysterectomies and double mastectomies to completely healthy teenage girls. Under the age of 18.

• Bill
      4 weeks agoReport

I believe in California however the government forces doctors to treat gender dysphoria including on minors. 

< yet if a 23 year old man wants a vasectomy, he can get easily one >

I'm calling BS on this.

• Kelly

Young men are also turned away for sterilization procedures and for the same reason women are...  they may change their mind a few down the line.  It happens quite frequently and it might not happen with you but it does.

A doctor only performs a hysterectomy when they are medically necessary regardless of age, it's not on a request basis.  I'm 44 and I haven't had one, I'm healthy and there's no reason for me to have one.  A total hysterectomy will put you into menopause.  After you have your ovaries removed it's also common to still have phantom periods, essentially you get the symptoms without the blood, those do subside after a while though.For those who do change their mind.. a vasectomy can be reversed ...  a hysterectomy cannot.  Even with a vasectomy reversed the chances of a child can be slim.My MIL is a Reproductive Endocrinologist (which is also an OB/GYN) and everyday she has women come into her office who were deadset they didn't want kids at some point and a few years later were desperate to have a baby and there's nothing she can do for them after having a total hysterectomy..You may or may not change your mind at some point.  A friend of mine I met at 23 and she didn't want kids, for her that never changed and she ran into the same problem you did.  At 30 she did have her tubes tied.  I at 23 also did not want kids, but for me ... that did change.

• Elana

Women CAN and DO get their tubes tied.

Who says you can't get it done?  Seems to me you should find another doctor.

Vasectomies often can be reversed if they were recent, but the longer they go uncorrected, the less likely it will be that they can be reversed.

• Elana
      4 weeks agoReport

I should point that OBGYNs WILL be hesitant because people DO change their minds.  So, you'd need to convince the doc or find another, but it can certainly be done.

Very interesting question and a valid point to make. No, I don't know the answer but I wish I did.

Could it be that woman are supposed to have some sort of build in maternal kink that would seem to be unnatural, whereas the male is basically just a wandering sperm bank who just needs to unload at regular intervals.

• John

Where are you from? It depends on various factors. One of those is whether you are separeted from your parents or other authoritative relative.

Some times they want to keep your ovaries alive and kicking so they can sell your services as a baby machine.

Ive heard of that happening in Europe but other parts of the world do it too including america.

Armies need bodies yours will do in their opinion.

And then there's other reasonings too

• totallymy4 weeks agoReport

What? That’s so f*ed up omg 😧

It isn't that easy for men to get a vasectomy in the UK if you're young.  My brother had one after having three children with his wife but it took him quite a while to get it as he was only in his late twenties when he asked and the doctors had to be convinced that he wouldn't regret it later.  However in the male case it is also sometimes possible to reverse the snip but with an hysterectomy it can't be reversed.  Perhaps that's why they are more amenable to a male request but this is only conjecture on my part.

I know many women who have had a tubal ligation.  You are obviously talking to the wrong doctors.  

It's because your hormones will protect you, from all sorts of illness & diseases.  Instead of a hysterectomy, you could opt for the coil, which often stops your periods.  Talk to a local Family Planning Clinic, that can give you alternatives.

You go on having periods what ever happens to your tubes. A hysterectomy is major surgery that can cause premature aging from disturbed hormones.

• Bill

That's wrong, you know. Young men and women have trouble finding a doctor that will sterilize them. 

As for the hysterectomy you want, that is not likely to happen no matter your age unless there is a medical reason for it.