What do you think of my dessert, which I have recently made for myself? Do you think it is healthy?

Per person.

4-5 heaped tablespoons unsweetened apple puree.

3 tablespoons wholegrain porridge oats

A little water

No sugar

Mix the puree and the oats thoroughly adding a little water if needed., microwave 3 minutes. Stir and add just a little more water if needed. Microwave another 2 minutes, check temperature and serve. Above times are for a single helping, longer times will be needed for larger quantities. Optionally a little cinnamon, ginger or mixed spice may be added to the apple.

Do you think this is healthy, it contains no added sugar or fat, and oats, unlike some other cereal products, oats do not get quickly converted to sugar in the body. 

• Janet
    Favorite Answer

It will be healthy. Oats are a complex carbohydrate and a good source of fiber too.

And some will like your recipe the first time .. others who are used to too much sugar will need some time to get used to it. You might also want to consider adding some fresh pineapple and cooking it with the oats.

I like oats with added fresh berries and a dollop of yogurt on top.

I avoid anything with oats or grains, so this wouldn't be for me.

• Linda

It sounds very healthy and like it would fill you up. I cook with oats a lot and I have learned to love this grain. Sounds yum!

Source(s): Love cooking healthy

Sounds fine, but it's breakfast, not dessert. 

• mrh-slos
      4 weeks agoReport

I can see what you mean, but I doing it as a dessert  I use more apple than oats.If I wanted a similar dish for breakfast I would use more oats than apple, I would also omit the spice.

If it's to YOUR tastes, sure. I wouldn't risk this for guests, unless they have the same tastes. Not all people are accustomed to food without a crapton of sugar, unfortunately. This sounds delicious to me, especially with the added spices.

• mrh-slos
      4 weeks agoReport

If I were serving to others I could loet them add suugar themselves to their own heloping in a similar fashion to how some people add sugar tho breakfast cereals. As this is served hot, the sugar will dissolve quickly.

• Mark

That is healthy.   I've made a similar dessert, but just because that is what I had in my pantry. And I ALWAYS make applesauce without sugar.  (It really doesn't need it.)