Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 month ago

Would the world be a better place if DIY was banned?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Just the opposite. The world would be a better place if everyone had to do things themselves.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Yes it would for sure 

• 1 month ago

I really don't think so, but if DYI was banned, it may save some marriages. LOL

• Theo
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Nope. A planet full of helpless dimwits would pretty much suck. Of course there are some who shouldn't mess around with things too much but it's good that they try.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Just because you CAN diy doesn't mean you should. Also, if DIY were banned, those with the skills may find other ways to contribute to society (apprentice to licensed trades, for example).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Prolly not! I know I would get entirely bored if I couldn't do my own work around the house! Just think of all of the extra money one would have to spend if they couldn't do their own repairs and build projects! A lot of those projects would never get done too since some could not afford them if they couldn't do it themselves!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is hard to get a decent and honest mechanic, plumber,  contractor, electrician or a heating technician now.  Just imagine if nobody is allowed to replace their own faucet.  paint their own fence or replace the battery in their car.  There will be a lot more shooting rampage.  And you could be one of the victims.

As they say often, "Be careful what you wish for.  You might just get it".

• 1 month ago

Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light 

Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right! 

It is the business of the wealthy man 

To give employment to the artisan.

Source(s): Hilaire Belloc
    • Theo
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Dang if you think someone deserves to die from fixing a light what would someone like me deserve. I mess around with pretty much everything. I survived a momentary zap from a 2000 Volt transformer and the pain was unbelievable.

• 1 month ago

This goes against the principle of "right to repair" and it will never come to be.

• ...Show all comments
    • Theo
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Many times when a product has "no user-serviceable parts inside" that's not necessarily true. A guy can always figure out how to take things apart. Parts can be found for virtually anything so some users can still service things.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, but I am sure contractors would be pleased.  Seriously, most "fixes" are very easy, but I would have someone in to add an electrical outlet or re-plumb the house.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It might be a bit quieter. The diy industry is globally worth $600 billion so it would also be a bit poorer. I suspect a lot of jobs/improvements wouldn't get done if people had to rely on the professionals to do them, which may or may not be a good thing. I prefer to do my own work as most builders are unskilled: barely capable of understanding rules and regulations, let alone following manufacturer's instructions. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.