CJ asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 month ago

The texture of my hair's natural wave was taken out from ketoconizole shampoo, is there any way I can get it back?

I was prescribed 2% ketoconizole shampoo and used it on the crown of my head and around my right ear. I have naturally wavy hair, but now the texture, color, and density of my hair has changed in the areas where the shampoo was used. Those areas are now lighter in color, barely wavy, very dry, and thinner. 

Does anyone know of any way I can get my hair's texture back to it's natural wave? I've tried heat styling and braiding, but that only resulted in a different type of wave that looks different from the rest of my hair, and my hair is too thick for me to be able to style the rest of what was not affected by the ketoconizole shampoo. 

I tried a Moroccanoil curl enhancing cream, but it didn't make much of a difference.

I'd like to avoid heat styling, but I've resorted to occasionally using a flat iron to soften my waves that weren't affected by the shampoo. However, I don't want to apply heat every day b/c of the damage it causes, and I would prefer to not apply any heat at all to the hair that was affected by the shampoo since it already looks dry and damaged. I'd consider applying heat to that area maybe once every blue moon, but I don't know what type of heat styling I could do that would enhance my natural texture/wave.

Not sure if these details are relevant to my issue, but I have thick caucasian hair that is naturally medium/dark brown and wavy 

I'll still look into any advice that involves heat styling, and any advice at all is very much appreciated! Thank you!

Just cut it off and let your hair regrow in. It will be all even that way. Your hair is dead so you cannot restore it to what it was before the change took place. That's why cutting it off is the only answer. 

• CJ4 weeks agoReport

Ah yeah, I would if most of my hair was damaged, but it's just like the outermost layer that comes from half of my crown and lays on top of healthy hair...and I just don't have the cuts to cut off all my hair haha. Trying to make it work with some shorter layers and softening my healthy waves

• B

it will grow out, give it about six months

• CJ1 month agoReport

Thank you!

If the shampoo has damaged your existing hair, you'll have to wait for it to grow out.  You could consider cutting it short or wearing it in an up-do until it's resolved. 

Shampoo shouldn't change the way your hair grows in the future if you've stopped using it.   

That being said, hormonal changes WILL change parts of or all of your hair.  If you've hit middle age, it is what it is. 

• CJ1 month agoReport

Ahh, good to know it will grow out. Thank you!

• Maxi

In some individuals, it may also cause either oiliness or dryness of the hair or scalp, abnormal hair texture, or discoloration. It can cause permed hair to lose its curl as well. In rare cases, ketoconazole shampoo can result in hair loss, so talk to your doctor right away if you notice this side effect.

Not using it and new hair growth is the only way......... the hair you see is dead, you can't get back how it used to be, it perminantly changes the hair as it is made of a tough protein called keratin, ANYTHING you put on hair from hot air to water breaks the chains and they reform, so water breaks the chain, put a roller in it and dry it and it reforms the chain in that shape...but things like ketoconazole or a perminant wave solution  changes it in a new form

• CJ1 month agoReport

Thank you!!!