Aprilia RS50 problems?

So i have a 2003 Aprilia RS50 and i was going to the garage to start it as I can't ride it until next month. I usually leave it running for about 20 mins, after it had been running for about a minute i went back inside for about 25 mins and i went back to the garage to turn it off and as i was nearing the garage i couldn't hear it and i saw it wasn't running and underneath was a small puddle of fuel i then saw some fuel drip from around where the fuel tap is. After this i turned it back on and it started without a problem but i then noticed that i wouldn't go over 7000rpm it would get there but it wouldn't go over. This has gotten me quite frustrated as i don't really know much about bikes so any help or advice would be appreciated thank you

Not sure if this makes a difference but i put more fuel in it 2 days ago and i filled it nearly to the brim

• adam

you didnt say what year it is. Need to know if its EFI or uses carbs. Could have a stuck float. Or did you leave the enrichener/choke on? Stuck float usually can be dealt with by tapping on the float bowl with a wrench or hammer LIGHTLY. Works on my 71 FLH all the time. Thats not a fix though. Just me being lazy LOL

Had you left the choke on?

Have you removed and "read" the spark plug?

Personally I would not make a habit of starting a 2 stroke too often and letting it burble away at tickover it will get carbon build-up (you will be able to get a clue from the plug).

• Carson

Carburetor problem. Float or needle was stuck and it probably fouled your spark plugs.

If you're not riding it

Take the battery out or disconnect the Negative

Drain the fuel.

Lift it off the tires and let it sit until you do ride.

What your doing is pointless and just causes wear on parts.