Jack H
Jack H asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

What is it that dogs pick up on when entering the vets?

Yesterday, my dog went in for castration, he was great in the car, quite happy while we waited for the vet, who is really good with dogs arrived to open up for afternoon surgery, walked happily to the door, then just dropped and refused to stand, move, anything it was hilarious, we had to carry him into the surgery (and he's a big boy) when he woke after surgery, he walked out with a smile though...

Favorite Answer

Have you ever noticed the smell in most vet's premises.  That's enough to put any self-respecting dog off right there.  

Mind you the Practice I use now actually smells quite good.  Unusually.

Given what he presumably had left behind, why the smile on his face - LOL!!

I always laugh when I see programmes with dogs rushing up to their owners when being discharged.   Mine - they just acknowledge, barely, me being there and concentrate on GETTING OUT THE DOOR!!

• Jack H
      1 month agoReport

LOL, He even loves his cone, he's very apologetic every time he splits it!...

• PR

They likely smell the fright of the other dogs, as well as hormones even the humans let off due to their concern over their own dogs. 

If your dog does this only walking into the exam room, he probably remembers the rooms, and being examined, having to be lifted onto the table, etc. The vet may show worry, or you also may do this. Dogs can pick up on very minute scents or details which is what makes many good at protecting their home, sensing seizures in some cases, etc.

There are also a lot of medicinal smells in the exam rooms the dog either may not like, or reminds him of previous visits.

Our dogs used to love the vet because they wanted to visit with the other dogs!! But, I think they didn't like the exam rooms.

My dogs are trained.  I say, "Move," and they move.  My dog is also 140 pounds, so I'm not carrying him anywhere.

I'm sure it's the unfamiliar smells.

One of my dogs was spayed.  She LOVES the Vet Tech but hates the Vet.  I have no idea what she remembers or doesn't remember.  She just stares at the Vet, and he's a little bit afraid of her, so the Vet Tech does 99% of the exam.  She doesn't growl, doesn't do anything, just stares.

Sounds and smells that may remind them of something they didn't enjoy at the last visit. Sounds of other animals who aren't happy. Unfamiliar smells. An environment they aren't used to. And it may well be as another poster said: shiny floor, which most vet offices have. Dogs who aren't used to shiny floors are sometimes completely freaked out by them and simply won't attempt walking on them.

• patty

my dog did not like the vets either, for one thing the smell gets them. They know something good is not going to happen

Something about the flooring may have caused this. New to him & he just froze. I have seen this & it is cute & funny too.

Back when I was training, I took the dogs over all kinds of services so that nothing would be odd or new to the dogs. Carpet, in & out of building, dirt, gravel, assault, concrete .....

Learning new things all the time. Too bad you did not get that on video. AFV would have aired that one.

• "services"' ?
      Surely you meant "surfaces"!
      FIX it.
      Leaen to Check & ciorrxt BEFORE you post/save your typing.

• Maxi

Dogs tend to go to the vets only when they are ill and/or need something done, the owners ( in the main) tend to be stressed..... so as soon as the dog enters it is reminded by the smell of the last time it went was in pain, or pain was caused, pick up on the stress/worry of the owner and that also reflects on how it behaves...so fight/flight/freeze or fool around is reactive and is an indicator of anxiety...so your dog froze and depending on how you dealt with it can encourage or deplete it...you thought it was hilarious, so potentially praised his fear, so you told him you wanted him to feel like that ( and I understand it is funny to humans but....)

I work as a consultant to several vets and all of them now encourage clients to go to the vets just to say hello, get their dog weighed, get a fuss/pet from the vet staff that way it is great socialisation the dog gets nothing done so has no issues ( apart from reflected worry from the owner worried about the dogs health or cost) and several things can be done to help owners deal with this worry/stress they feel to help them and also help their dog in a positive way....he walked out happy as his owner was, he is going home and dogs live in the moment...so what happens is done ( until the next time)

My own pup loves the vets any vets as it is a place she goes at least once a week, so it is part of her life and she has no "only pain or bad things happen here" as her norm, when if she has to be treated its a one off out of dozens oof other times she goes.

Dogs have 3 parts in which they perceive the world around them.

1. Their own territory - where they eat, sleep, live.

2. Playing territory - places they play with other dogs.

3. Unknown territory - places that they have never seen or go to rarely.

Dogs are always alert in unknown places. Like humans too. If you went to a new place you would be a bit cautious.

• Carson

Fear. They can smell it. I took all of my dogs to the vet when I had an appt or to buy food to desensitized them.

Minnie loved to go. But she had a particularly long surgery on her knee.

After that, she'd walk in the front door, walk through the office and stand by the exit.