If blueberry syrup has been in the refrigerator for six months past the expiration date, but still tastes good, is it okay to consume?

• Robert
    Favorite Answer

If it tastes good you must have consumed some of it. Are you dead or ill? If so it is bad and should not be consumed. If you are alive and well and enjoy the taste, enjoy it. But once it has been opened know that you should finish it quickly or discard it as the decaying process will be faster now.

The expiration date is all about the flavor. Manufacturers guess at a date their product will start to lose flavor and slap it onto packages. I'm sure it's just fine. Unless it is growing mold, but i doubt it, because it's actually pure sugar

I've had syrup that's more than three years past expiration date and it didn't make me sick but in today's day and age there's always that possibility that botulism has grown in your syrup it might taste good it might look good It might smell good but do you really want to take the chance?

Yes.

Sugar is one of the best food preservatives known.

Very sweet items (such as honey, for a prime example) even survive on the shelf (i.e. unrefrigerated) for months or years.

If it tastes OK then undoubtedly it is OK.

• Janet

Only way to find out is to eat it and see if it makes you sick. I pay attention to "best-before" dates (they are not "expiry dates" .. they are recommendations for the best taste, but they CAN also indicate food going bad after that date)