Gas tank venting on 1989 non CA Harley Softail Custom.?

Received this bike from father's estate and it's had lots of additions/upgrades but he never rode it. While I was riding it one day, I stopped for gas and couldn't even get a full gallon of gas into the tanks. I then drove off and after a few blocks the bike started sputtering like it was running out of gas so I switched it to reserve and it ran as normal. This is a bike with a split tank that can only be filled from the right side has a tube connecting the tanks and feeds fuel to the carb from the left side. I got to thinking that maybe there is something going on with the vent that isn't allowing gas to get to the left side. The manual for the bike shows a vent tube connected to a outlet on the top of the right tank but doesn't show where it goes.  So I disassembled to take a look and found that both tanks had an outlet in the same spot and a line connecting both which is not at all like the manual showed. I blew into the right tank and it looks like the cap is vented blowing into the left side is difficult.  Does anyone know how this should be configured?

• adam

sat for a long time? He never rode it? Put a new gas cap on it. Its vented . Old caps vent is probably partially plugged up 

Old bikes which have not been ridden frequently have rusted gas tank interiors and the tank coating and rust flake off and clog the finger strainers and other stuff. I would take off the petcocks and look. But that's me.

• Carson

Take the cap off. It's vented.

I'd look for an obstruction in the balance tube.