forged Lease?

I sign a lease agreement with my mother at an apartment and we stayed at those apartments for 2 years at the end of the lease I left the apartment to be on my own my mother told me she found a roommate to make up the difference so she can still qualify for the unit. but after my mom signs my name in another lease and forged my signature with the landlord at the time without me knowing about it. and that the roommate was a lie

I just found out when I got a call reminding me to renew the lease. my mother wants to move out with her new husband which he is not on the lease and since my mom doesn't work and just gets government help and a check for looking after my mental disable nieces.  the apartment wants to hold me liable for any damage to that unit that doesn't seem right to me can they do that and what are my options 

when I left the apartment there was no damage but a hoe in a wall there was cause when moving furniture which I paid to get it fix. the other damage happens when my mother had her husband move in with a dog and it tore up the carpet 

• Eva

You'll have to be able to prove that your signature was forged. You'll probably have to go to court over it.

• Lolly

If you want to sue your mother, that's up to you. You would have to decide. And that's a big decision in life, you know?

• Bort

You didn't mention whether you informed the landlord you were moving out when you did. That's important. If you didn't tell them you were moving they didn't know. There isn't always a new signing when a lease renews they can use the copy you did sign and extend it. Your mom may not have forged your signature. There may not have been a lease signing beause they went off the old lease.

Report your mother to the police for illegally signing your name.  If you are not willing to do this then any court will assume you did sign the lease.  If you are willing to do this, then show the police report for this to the landlord and explain that you never signed the lease and are therefore not responsible for these damages.  If the landlord insists on taking you to court then show the judge the police report and they will throw out the court case. Ultimately you may get your mother into some trouble but then you can't be held to this lease that you never signed.

If you have not reported the forgery and her criminal actions to the police, then it is assumed that you signed the lease and are responsible for it.   Unless your mother is convicted of the forgery, then there is no proof that she forged your name and so you pretty much signed it, and are responsible under the lease.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

You either get your mom in trouble for committing fraud...or you deal with it.  

You can report your mother for fraud.

• Ann

You can tell them you did not sign the lease and your mother forged your name, You will need to file a police report as this is identity theft.

...and at the end of the two years did you inform the landlord in writing, in accordance with the lease, that you were terminating your tenancy?   

If not, your mother didn't need to forge anything because you never terminated your contract.   It either renewed or converted to a month to month and you are still a tenant. 

It sounds like you assumed that at the end of two years your lease expired and you were free to leave without doing anything or having any further responsibility.   If you read the lease that YOU signed, you'll find that your assumption is incorrect.

Your options depend on whether you actually terminated your tenancy in accordance with the lease or whether you just told your mom you were moving and left.

You put a "hoe" in the wall?   I hope you're referring to a garden tool or that you mistyped "hole".   :-)

I know this is hard, but if you damage the apartment beyond repair, just forge it so your mom wrecked it.