Susan asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

I need help with shared office space...?

I share an office with 2 other people and I a need someone else's opinion. 

1.  I love natural light so when I am here alone I let natural sunlight shine in from the floor to ceiling windows and keep the fluorescent lights off.  Every time my office mates arrive they flip on the lights, comment about me being in the 'dark', then close the window shades because the sun is too bright.  This happens every day they are in the office. I don't mind them doing it but do I need to hear about EVERY DAY?  2. When I sit at my desk my back is to the door.  I don't like not seeing who is behind me.  (One day a strange man startled me when he came to work on the printer.)  So, when I am alone I prefer to keep the office door closed.  When my coworkers arrive they comment every day that they don't like the door being closed.  What should I do?  Many thanks for taking the time.  

The part about the windows makes no sense. First you say they come in and turn the lights on because it was too dark and then the other side of your mouth you say they close the blinds because it's too bright. There is a happy medium, you know. Blinds have the ability to be adjusted. You can adjust the blinds so that 100% of the light is not coming through but a lot of natural light is coming through. You can simply do this by adjusting the wand on the blinds to tilt them.

As far as your back being towards the door, you can simply turn your desk around so you're facing the door.

So, You see there are very easy solutions to Everyday problems. Your problems can be instantly eliminated by adjusting the blinds and moving your desk.

• Jerry

This is their way of saying "You don't mind terribly if we open the door, close the blinds, and turn on the lights do you?" So be happy that you have considerate office mates. And tell them they don't have to ask about it every day. "When I'm here by myself, I prefer closed door, open blinds, and lights off. So you can expect to find things this way any morning I'm here early working by myself. Of course I expect that these things will change when others arrive. No need to mention it."

• Edna

You said that, when you're alone, you like to let natural sunlight shine in from floor-to-ceiling windows and keep the fluorescent lights off. But, you're NOT alone. For most people, hours of sunlight streaming through a window makes their eyes hurt and it can  also make it very difficult for them to read what's printed on their papers. So, they want to close the blinds and turn on the fluorescent lights. 

You said, "When I sit at my desk my back is to the door.  I don't like not seeing who is behind me".  All right - then turn your desk around, so that it and you face the door.  Problem solved!

How about talking directly with your officemates??  tell them your concerns-see if they are responsive.  

you might want to talk to your manager about it but if you want to keep your job i would let them do what they want

Learn to accept it. You don't have a reasonable expectation of making them keep their thoughts to themselves. You are free to do your own thing when alone, but you must cooperate when not. Just maybe you can suggest a compromise.

Is there any possibility that one of your officemates will trade you desks so you can see who's coming in?  That's the easiest solution to that one.  Barring that, you could get a mirror to place opposite the door so you can see who's coming in, though, admittedly, that doesn't always work.  Can you turn your desk in a different direction so you can see who's coming in the door? 

As far as natural sunlight, if you've got fluorescent lights right above your desk and they bug you, ask your manager about removing just that one lightbulb that's closest to you so your officemates get the benefit of their favored light source and you get the benefit of yours.  I mean that's such a simple thing.  You can tell your boss, I will be SO much happier as an employee to have this lightbulb removed from over my head.  Doesn't cost a thing and actually saves on overhead because the electric bill will be less (by pennies, but still...) 

Sun is too bright?  Put some taller plants in the window, or only shut the shades halfway instead of all the way, or shut the one that's closest to them and leave the one open that's closest to you.  Lots of little ways to handle these problems. 

Just some ideas.  Good luck. 

Talk to your manager, tell them what is going on, and ask if you could move your desk to be next to the windows.  Tell the manager that the artificial light hurts your eyes and that you work better and your productivity is better with natural light.

• Susan1 month agoReport

Thank you