Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

How to unclog bathroom sink - contact lenses?

So the contact lens wearer in my household apparently thought it was a good idea to put her used contacts down the bathroom drain. Now I have a serious clog that basic approaches have not managed to budge at all. Short of bringing in a plumber, does anyone know what might work to resolve this?

(Yes, it has been explained to the mindless offender the many reasons why this is NOT okay.)

Should have been more specific. Tried basic drain cleaner, then a snake, as I assumed it was the usual hair clog. The stopper is already out. The clog is dead solid about 16 inches in. Hoping not to take anything apart as we rent.

a pair of tiny contact lenses will NOT clog a bathroom drain.  The average bathroom sink drain is between 1.5 and 1.6 inches wide.  A contact lens is a fraction of that size.  The blockage is likely caused by a build up of hair and soap scum.

If you have tried drain cleaner and a snake to no avail, then you need a plumber or remove the trap yourself

disassemble the trap under the sink. any handyman can do this job, plumber not needed

• Droopy

Well your at the point of take it apart or callfor help.  Most sinks have removeable traps. If its pvc you probably can unscrew it with your hand.  

Roommates suck I had couple one time bout six months an i broke the lease.  Was worth the extra I paid to get out.  Lived alone after that until I got married. 

• roger

Just  remove the   trap. (use a  pipe wrench if needed).   Wash it out (in another  sink).

Go to any plumbing shop and get a quart of concentrated sulfuric acid drain cleaner wearing proper protection eye protection and body protection like rain gear poor a pint of it down the drain. Let it set for 15 minutes no more clogged. I don't see how putting contact down the sink plugged up the sink. The things are pretty much water soluble unless they're the disposable plastic kind but still they should have just washed straight down anyway the sulfuric acid drain cleaner will dissolve it straight away

• Ann

I am assuming the clog is in the trap,  get a bucket under the trap under the sink and remove the U shaped elbow,  clean it out, and you should be ok

Start by removing the stopper. It may be held in place with a rod under the sink. Hair and the lenses may be caught up there. I have never seen other clogs in the bathroom since food does not go down the sink there.