what was you doing in 1982?

can you remember what you was doing in that year? so long ago now..i was just a boy but remember the year fondly.

this is obviously aimed at other generation x and boomer users.

Favorite Answer

I was working sixty hour weeks putting my spouse through Harvard Law School. It strained the marriage, but it recovered.

• denise

Getting engaged and looking for a job.

I was old enough to know it was what you were doing, not what was

farting 

lalalalala

I joined the Air Force in 1982. When I was at basic training I remember Joan Jett & the Blackhearts "I Love Rock 'n Roll" was very popular.

Pooping myself.  I was born in April of that year.

• Expat

In 1982 I was 12. I’d already learned the difference between “was” and “were”, but was having a terrible time with math and getting the attention of Jennifer Bower, who I’d had a crush on since first grade. I listened to Rush like it was a religious obligation, and I was a devoted disciple. I played flag football poorly, was relentlessly bullied by Tony Scholl and would fantasize all manner of grisly deaths for him. My father was cheating on my mother but it would be another 4 years till I knew it and I was still waiting to find out if Darth Vader really was Luke Skywalker’s father. 

Saying "you was" is not a slight grammatical error. It's what linguists call a "socially marked" error. That is, it's one that few native speakers of English make (unlike using "who" instead of "whom" which most people do), so it indicates that you are either a non-native speaker of English or a very uneducated native speaker. If we heard you speaking with an accent, we'd be much more forgiving of an error like that. But you don't write like a non-native speaker, so we have to assume that you're a redneck who doesn't know any better. Someone once said, "You don't necessarily need grammar to be understood. You do need grammar to be respected."

Having sex 3 times a day in the Summer with a female 17 year blonde beauty!

• Thomas CNSRV
      1 month agoReport

If I had said a male 17 year old, would you have given me a thumbs up?

Not exactly but I do remember that my grammar was such that I knew the correct usage is "what WERE you doing".