Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Is it better to be a agnostic than atheist?

30 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

My feeling is that it's impossible to prove either that God exists or that he doesn't.  You may choose to believe, or not to believe, that's entirely up to you.  And either way you choose, nobody can prove you wrong.

Agnosticism is simply the admission that you don't know, that you can't know for sure.  To me, that's the only logically defensible position.  You may choose to believe but admit that belief is not knowledge, that you can't know for sure.  Or you may choose NOT to believe, with the same admission that you can't know for sure.  That's agnosticism.  I think that's more intellectually honest than simply deciding God exists or doesn't exist objectively.

• ...Show all comments
    • jon pike
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Sandra, How can a person look at anything except "I AM" objectively? Aren't all personal experience subjective? Isn't everything seen through that subjective personal experience?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Atheism and agnosticism are two different philosophical positions. Atheism is a position regarding belief, in this case, the lack of belief in god(s). Agnosticism is a philosophical position regarding knowledge, in this case, that the existence/non-existence of god(s) is not and/or cannot be known. In its purest form, agnosticism is the position that the existence/non-existence of god(s) is equiprobable. Atheism and agnosticism are compatible (as are theism and agnosticism). Most atheists, including yours truly, are agnostic atheists.

• 1 month ago

Yes. At least agnostics are honest enough to admit that they don't know.

• Broton
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

But you're not

• 1 month ago

No because atheists are absolutely stone cold towards any thought of there even being a Saviour who died for us or a Creator or God or Father in heaven.

Whereas Christians are absolutely hot for God our wonderful Saviour.

In between are agnostics - they are neither hot nor cold.  God says He would rather you either be hot or cold but if you are lukewarm, which atheists are - neither one thing nor the other, then (Revelation 3:16) when Jesus comes He will spew you out of His mouth.

In other words, you literally make Jesus sick.  So if I were you, I would get decisive and decide on something positive instead of staying on the fence all the time. Make your mind up can't you? 

• ...Show all comments
    • Snowbird
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Humans often judge others before they have got to know them & this is what you are doing You need to have a relationship with our Heavenly Father before you can make a judgement like that. So seek the Lord while He may be found & call upon Him while He is near. You will never regret it I promise you

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Paul
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Agnostics at least admit they don't know the truth, which is a step toward learning the truth.

• Broton
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

So sane people are agnostic

• 1 month ago

you can be both; the words are not mutually exclusive. I am an agnostic atheist. look it up.

• 1 month ago

I think being purely agnostic is an irrational position that is either based on the possibility that a God could exist or based on asserting it is an unknowable concept. Both in my view would require evidence/reasoning to grant a possibility or demonstrate how you know it is unknowable should the possibility exist. The best test of rationality is would you be equally agnostic of other magical beings/creatures that have the same actual support of zero. Atheists take the default of nonexistence until such time as a reasonable possibility can be demonstrated or actual existence discovered. The default of nonexistence requires zero support since it is already a position that cannot leave any evidence. Asserting the concept of God is unknowable is as bad as theists asserting God is outside of time and space, there is nothing to back the assertion. Atheism doesn't necessarily have to be the position that the "claim" of Gods is false, but rather there is nothing to indicate that it is remotely true. Adding "agnostic" to  the label of atheism in not saying the concept is unknowable but rather a more rational position of admitting that you don't absolutely know the claim to be false, just no "good" reasons to suspect even the possibility. A good example of rational agnosticism would be of other life in our universe. Based on our knowledge of life on this planet, we at least know the "real" possibility of other life exists to be rationally agnostic of. We might not ever develop the technology to ever know if other life exists but we have rational grounds for making this claim. Agnosticism of Gods needs something like this or it is as irrational as being agnostic of magical Genies with no cause to hold that position. Basically agnosticism and theism are asserted positions, whereas atheism is not, it's simply finding the "claim" has not met its burden of either existence (theism) or potential existence (agnosticism).

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I dont think there's any pros or cons to being either.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

How do you repeat yourself every single day and not get bored?

• jon pike
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

That's nothing. Read Misty's stuff.

• 1 month ago

By definition, all agnostics are also atheists.

On the issue of belief in a deity, either one has such a belief, in which case that person is a theist, or one has no such belief, in which case one is an atheist.

Agnostics only differ from atheists in the specific cause of their non belief in a deity.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.