Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

I bought some halo top peanut butter dairy ice cream and walked about 10 mins home. Put it straight in freezer.?

About 30mins to 1 hour later i opened it from freezer but it was totally mushy and sort of sloppy nothing like ice cream. Just licked the spoon and put it back in freezer. It wasn’t like liquid it was just weirdly slushy and mushy. That night I ate some more but it was properly frozen. This was a few days ago. Tonight I ate some more from the freezer. But I’m thinking... I saw on the internet that if you refreeze thawed ice cream and eat it you can get very sick, something to do with bacteria growth. But I don’t know if the ice cream was thawed or not.. or if someone put thawed ice cream back into the shop freezer and I picked that one up. Am I ok? Or am I ganna get Ill? Over the past few days I’d just nibble spoonfuls of the ice cream and nothing’s happened yet.

OMG stop being paranoid. It would literally have to be out for days before it would be spoiled. The whole population of the world eats melted ice cream at one time or another and survives.

• audrey

You're fine. That peanut butter ice cream is delicious!

• denise

I've bought this very ice cream in a supermarket online shop, and it was frozen [like it should be], even after being in the freezer it was fine.

Perhaps your one had been at the freezer top in the shop, and suffered an early thaw??, I don't think the melted ice cream would harm you, but if its re-frozen it can get a layer of frost which 'spoils' it.

As someone who works in the restaurant industry and is trained in health/food safety- I can 100% say that you are safe to eat it! You were only outside for 10 minutes, that's not enough time for an entire bucket to melt into slop, plus the minute you got home it went into the freezer for a solid hour. 

Relax, you're not going to get sick.

• Goerge

That myth about refreezing is a complete myth where ice cream is concerned. They are talking about meat that has came to room temperature. If the meat thawed while still in a 35F fridge that meat is just fine to be refrozen. Don't let it sit in there for 2 days before you refreeze it. It needs to be refrozen in about 4 hours. Because of the expansion of water and other issues there may be a flavor and textural change due to the refreezing but it's still good to eat. There will probably also be plenty of ice crystals that formed from the refreezing but that's not a problem. 

Absolutely no worries about your ice cream. I have been cooking for about over 30 years and I have been wrong before, but I'm not. 

Too much air mixed in.

Also the stores Freezers "defrost" at least once a day, which can have disastrous results.

Refreezing problems (healthwise) only applies when the product is on the counter for an hour or so.

Good for you! I hope the ice cream doesn't melt.

• suzannah1 month agoReport

What do you mean good for me?