Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

What does it mean to appeal a parking ticket? ?

Is it going to court. I don’t know it’s my first time getting this ticket. I am thinking is it like forgiveness? 

When I look it up online. It is saying court and such. 

I also hate using the word violation. Like it is just disturbs me. And since it was on the ticket saying to write date of violation. I wrote date of violation: date. I could have just wrote date: in the email. This is my first time getting a ticket and also asking to see if it can get forgiven. This scares me. An email is like a proof and it is there forever so emailing with my name info is scary. 

Ignore my 2nd update. Some are not seems to understand what I am trying to say. 

In Canada it works like this\

If you appeal a parking ticket, than you appeal it at a court hearing in traffic court (its located in a provincial courthouse). The trial is one day, and its between your lawyer, the crown and the judge! Both sides present evidence, and then the judge determines if one is guilty and must pay the fine or innocent and the fine is forgiven.

Who gave you the parking ticket, a city/state/jurisdiction or private property?

At my campus, you can only appeal by writing. In our appeals committee meeting we read your appeal, laugh at the loser you are, and then reject your appeal so that our hardworking parking enforcement officers can get credit for his/her excellent work that is valuable to the community.

Even if the appeal is 100% valid, we reject it, because the Parking Manager said to do so. No conflict of interest here, right?

Source(s): I am a member of the University of Guelph Parking Appeals Committee

To appeal a parking ticket is to simply waste a lot more of your time and money.  I suggest you "appeal" off into the sunset before that happens.  The system already got plenty of money.  They don't need no more.

Appeal means it's already been adjudicated and you are going back to Court in order to get a different outcome.

You need GROUNDS to appeal.

No, it's trying to convince the judge that you didn't violate the law.

• .

You go to court and tell the judge why you do not deserve it, if you lie good 'nuf you may get it dismissed.

But 20 years ago I got one in Brooklyn, I was visiting from out of state.  Appealed by letter and it was dismissed, sent the $50 fee and it was returned.

I don't know if there's even such a thing as 'appealing' a parking ticket, at least in the real world.  An appeal is when your case has already been decided by a court, so you take it to a higher court.  Its a very expensive process, so you'd be unlikely to do that for a parking ticket. Though I suppose it's legally possible.

What you are probably talking about is 'contesting' a parking ticket.  That is, not just paying it but going to court to fight it.  You can see a judge and get an actual trial.  You can claim innocence and give your side of the story, or you can plead guilty and explain extenuating circumstances or facts.  Or, as many people do, you can plead guilty and ask the judge if he could reduce the fine because you're unemployed or a student or something.

The process to appeal a parking ticket varies, depending on which specific jurisdiction it is in.

The same applies for the process to *contest* a parking ticket, which one does before the payment deadline for the fine on the ticket.

Read the ticket to be sure and call where it says to call.