Words
Words asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 months ago

Is there such thing as ''Hiring someone to correct your English''? If yes, where to find such people in the UK? Read the rest down below?

I have very good ideas for writing. I'm an author, I write books in Persian. I'd like to write down my ideas in English which I do, but my English is not advanced enough to publish them as books. My husband is EnglisIs there such thing as ''Hiring someone to correct your English'', but he is way too busy to be able to help me, so I was wondering if there are people whose jobs is to correct someone's English?

The messy text was a computer error. My English is that that bad!

Favorite Answer

Yes, that's called an "Editor".

https://www.fiverr.com/categories/writing-translat...

This can work out quite expensive to a whole book. There are people from the UK on this website. There are also Americans but they have their own idiomatic version of English with their funny spelling.

You could use software to help you https://www.grammarly.com

which is much cheaper but not perfect.

• Cogito

Yes.  I'm a professional copy-editor/proofreader (amongst other things) and I've worked on many books, articles and essays.

Your problem is that it would be very expensive to use someone like me for an entire book written in poor English.

We charge by the hour, and a whole book needing a lot of correction throughout would take weeks or months of work.  For example, if I worked 20 hours a week for 12 weeks, you're looking at a minimum cost of about £5,000.

It would be quicker and more cost effective to write in Persian and get the entire book translated.

• mokrie

What you need is "proof reader".

• Andrew

You're not looking for someone to correct your English. You're looking for someone who can transform your awkward and bumbling text to something readable. There are millions of people out there who are native speakers of English who don't have the skills to produce a book worth reading. And it's not because they don't have any decent ideas. It's because writing isn't about knowing how to produce writing that's free from errors, it's also about producing something that people will actually want to read. If you want to write, write in your own language and have it translated. At least that might be worth paying for. Asking someone to take poorly written samples of writing and to correct the errors won't guarantee that the end result will be engaging and enjoyable. What you're asking would be akin to someone who'd been playing piano for 3 months asking an experienced musician to take a shaky framework and turn it into a beautiful symphony. If you need assistance from strangers with basic things like spelling, grammar and usage, you're not even remotely prepared to lay the foundation for a book. And that's okay. If you're dedicated and determined enough, you'll learn and grow and progress with time. If you want it to be YOUR book, then YOU need to write it. Without help. 

you could try advertising that you want to hire someone

• Maxi

There are essential skills classes in English, Maths, IT all over the UK... contact the local community education or College and there will be signs/info about them  in your local library