Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Fiancé used d-limonene flea and tick shampoo on 13 week old puppy?! What should I do? ?

Okay so my fiancé was washing both of our dogs and he didn’t realize it wasn’t okay to use it on the puppy until after he did it. I don’t know what to do. What do I need to look out for to make sure she is okay? 

This was an incredibly BAD IDEA - starting with NOT READING the label.  (Many d-limonene shampoos tell YOU => TO WEAR GLOVES!!!)  HOW TOXIC is that ?????  

Wash the puppy THOROUGHLY with DAWN dishwashing liquid and call your vet as soon as they are open, unless you see puppy becoming sick: lethargic, vomiting or diarrhea.  If you see any signs of toxicity, puppy must go to an EMERGENCY Vet if yours is not open.

A number of things ARE NOT SAFE FOR PUPPIES (or kittens) please learn to READ THE LABEL!   To make BAD MATTERS WORSE: guess what ? Flea & tick shampoo is VIRTUALLY USELESS to begin with - since it has little to NO RESIDUAL killing or protective VALUE. All it does is the able to WASH off fleas on the dog - AT the time.  More FLEAS can get RIGHT BACK on the dog that HATCH from flea eggs in your carpet, upholstery or grass or are on animals (like cats, squirrels etc.) in your yard.

WHY, WHY, WHY are your dogs (or at least the puppy) not on VET-APPROVED puppy safe (measured doses - BY WEIGHT) of flea protection (like a spot-on, such as Advantage, Advantix, Revolution, etc.that last for 30+ days)?  Again; flea shampoos are WORTHLESS and some contain TOXIC INGREDIENTS - TO YOU and a puppy.  IMO, that shampoo BELONGS IN THE TRASH!

What does the label say re use on puppies?   I'm not familiar with this produce but most give clear instructions re use.    If it is age restricted, phone your vet.   I hope you rinsed the pup off well afterwards.

• PR

CALL YOUR VET for advice, or call the manufacturer.

If it is not too long since this was applied, wash it off and then call the vet. 

skin irritation and an irritating  rash that may need veterinary attention. Swim the pup. in your bathtub in fresh clean water

i would ask your vet about it

Rewash him with Dawn dishwashing soap to try to clear off as much residue as possible. Keep him warm. Neurological side effects are most common. Watch for twitching, seizing, foaming at the mouth, etc.

If you see anything, take him in to a veterinarian immediately.

Edit: Typically, you'd see neurological signs pretty quickly. Maybe within a few hours? On the day of the bath, at least.

I worked in an animal ER for 6ish years, but that was 10 years ago.

Most pets do alright with a good washing/rinsing in a non-chemical soap (like Dawn), especially dogs. Cats are another story.

If your puppy is still acting alright and not doing anything weird, you're probably okay.

Just give the puppy a really thorough wash. That should wash out all the shampoo. If not, it’ll dilute it to the point where it won’t do any harm.

Shouldn’t cause too much trouble if it’s only on the skin

• Christina1 month agoReport

And I’m probably over reacting but I just want to make sure she’s okay. Do you know what I need to look out for like any signs that I would need to take her to a vet immediately?