Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Does it cost anything to go to police academy?

I don't actually wanna BE a police officer. That must be a drag of a job. I just wanna do the police academy for fun and experience.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Bruce
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In my state, there are several technical colleges that offer a police academy. It cost about $5K and lasts almost 6 months. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Being paid three times the community norm, and getting overtime on top of that.

Doing nothing 95% of the time.

It is better than teaching. almost as good as politics.

Nope, A candidate is Hired, on the payroll of a department

with (usually) a Five Year Contract for after graduation.

Receiving base pay until graduation. With City/State paying all expenses.

At least that is the way it is working in my state municipal police academy.

• 1 month ago

People join police academies under various terms. Typically, people are hired at specific police departments and then sent to that department's police academy for training. In this case, it costs nothing for the recruits to attend the academy, and they also receive their salaried pay while training.

Police hiring qualifications can include:

passing a written exam

physical fitness test

drug and alcohol test

clean background check

21-year-old age requirement

a high school diploma, or the GED equivalent

at least two years of higher education

You can also pay tuition to attend a police academy before being hired by a police department. These types of academies are typically affiliated with community colleges or state and county law enforcement training centers. Costs usually total less than $5,000, and some police departments will reimburse a percentage of that tuition upon employment. After receiving your certification, you can then apply to become a police officer in that state. However, you may be asked to complete an additional training course.

Police academy programs can be anywhere from 320 to 800 course hours and typically take six or eight months to complete. The length and content of the programs depends on the statewide requirements for police certification. For that reason, becoming certified in Iowa, for example, may be a shorter process than doing so in New York.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.