Kathy asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Is it rude to say "Pfft!"?

Someone asked me how I was. I answered, "Good." After that, he was like, "Pfft!" while briefly raising his arms. Before that whenever he saw me, he always poked fun at my answer whenever I told him I was fine. Now this is the first time he was like *Pfft!*

Was that rude?

He's married but I'm not. Not to mention, he's decades older than me. I see him once or twice a year.

And I've been seeing him for many years.

I don't mind people saying *Fine* or *Good* whenever I ask them how they're doing.

Favorite Answer

Whenever my grandfather heard someone say "pfft", he would walk up to them look them up and down from head to toe and ask them if he could fix their leak! So whenever I hear anybody letting out of puff of air like that, I laugh and think of my grandfather.

But yes, to answer your question, it is not a professional way to respond and yes that would be rude.

• PAMELA

Yes they were rude, but good is a silly answer, good at what? just say you are ok, thanks.

it is if the person dont want to hear it

• Mini

Pfft. Of course it's rude. 

i think it was rude

He was either rude or wanted more detail than “good” & was annoyed at your (& most peoples) short response.

But making fun everytime he sees you is a bit much.. 

He should have asked you more questions, “good” is what 90% people say as 90% people do not want to hear more than that.

From what you describe it sounds as if he wanted a more detailed answer than 'good'. This is the answer we give to the enquiry of how we are today; when we want to politely respond socially, yet not reveal too much of ourselves.

Some people don't want to hear further details, yet others get bored of the same old responses. To be honest, I'd suspect he's having a midlife crisis and is wondering what to do with his remaining years. 

However that's total speculation on my part.

As for pfft, that can be taken either way. Maybe he was being rude, but more likely he was just exasperated at hearing the same response 50,000 times throughout his life.

It seems as if he wants some sort of change in his world. Perhaps subtle changes would satisfy his needs, but he probably wants a large shift along with a significant or gratifying reward.

Something I did note:

You mentioned he is married and older. There may be good reason for you to share this with us. It's why I speculated that he was having a midlife crisis. You're younger than he, female, single and perhaps suddenly very desirable to a man who needs some change in his life.

Apologies if I'm wrong there, as I don't want you to feel unnecessarily uncomfortable around him, but this is based on your own observation and clues. Perhaps you already had some suspicions along those lines?

Not always because pffft can be used as a playful thing and not taken seriously or like sarcasm or if someone disagrees with what someone’s said. It doesn’t sound serious or rude. Sounds like he was playing or even flirting. If you said you’re good and he said pfft maybe he was flirting. I wasn’t there and didn’t hear the conversation but that’s how I’d take it.