Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender & Women's Studies · 4 weeks ago

All other factors being equal a female will 9 times out of 10 be favoured by society/industry over a male. True or false?

Update:

“Western” society

Update 2:

I actually think primary schools is an exception where they are screaming out for men to join due to their scarcity in that position

Update 3:

I think you are confusing “preferences of each gender” with “preferences for each gender”

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Depends on the venue in question. Most people still prefer to see a male cop or firefighter show up to an emergency. Meanwhile most people of both genders still trust a female teacher/daycare worker over a male one. Females in fields like adult films and artistic figure skating are preferred over their male counterparts but very few men or women hold season tickets for any WNBA franchise. So this varies based on what endeavor one is interested in.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

False obviously. "Favored" for what, in what context?

• liz
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Given what kind of favours?  Not favoured for positions of authority or power, either politically, or in industry.  Favoured as talk show hostesses on TV, quite probably.  It’s different in different fields.

As the update says, it’s not clear how to distinguish between the preferences for one gender, from those preferences of each gender. 

• 4 weeks ago

False in every industry I can think of except for primary school teachers. Or day care centers. Once a great while there appears to be a "year of the woman" and then it passes and it's only noticed because it's unusual.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Well, it depends on which society you're talking about.  American society?  African society?  Scandinavian society?  West Asian society?  East Asian society?  South American society?

You're gonna have to be more specific.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.