? asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 8 months ago

Why do people think that it is a good idea to bring back animals from extinction?

I was watching a tv show about a group of scientists in South Korea who are trying to bring back the Wooly Mammoth and the Wooly Rhinoceros. The show was incredibly interesting. 

I have also talk to several just ordinary people at my college who seriously agreed with the idea and thought that it would be "cool" and a "real-life Jurrassic park that they could go to". With no regard for the repercussions for the environment or the animals themselves.

Why is it a good idea to bring back these animals from extinction? They obviously went extinct for a reason whether it was due to changes in climate, human pressures, or competition with other modern animals.

How do we know that if we revived the Mammoth, that it wouldn't be miserable? Are we as a people so self-centered that we want to use animals as our own personal entertainment that we would literally bring back an extinct species for the sol purpose of looking at it from behind a cage? What kind of sick, twisted people are we? We can read about them in books, if that is not satisfyinf to someone, then they really need to get a life and grow up.

Yes, we would learn a lot about these creatures if we revived them from the dead, but why is that a good idea? If we simply released them into the wild, rather than had them contained in cages (which was another theory that I heard), why should we mess up our current ecosystems and the current animals that already live in order to appease our curiosity and immaturity?

I am looking for a moral/philosophical answer as to "why is it a good idea to resurrect these extinct creatures to appease our curiosity and lack of understanding?" I get the scientific answer, but there is way more to the world and to life than simply science.

i saw a nova or science program "save the turtles". an intense effort was made to impregnate a turtle on the brink of extinction. there  are only two or three in existence, and mating is such a difficult project, the fertility level so low, and the number of possible fertile mates so small, that the scientists with their advanced techniques were unable to "save the turtles".

this is not science-fiction, it is reality.

Because Someone with a death wish wants to make Jurassic Park....

I agree. It's complete narcissism.

I don't see why you would assume that the woolly mammoth would be miserable.

But, yes, it would be for our own curiosity and scientific knowledge. If they figured

out how to do this, they could apply the technique to other things. Like, perhaps

they could grow organs for people who need them, some day.

• Zirp

I assume someone thinks they can "make" money with it.

Reviving a species makes sense only if it fills a role/niche that is now vacant.

"They obviously went extinct for a reason".

yes and no. Going extinct does not mean it had to happen as part of some plan. A little bad luck or human stupidity can be enough

Scientists are curious, and curiosity kills the cat.

You said yourself the program was interesting!  Reviving a long-extinct species would teach us a lot about genetic manipulation, growing tissue from DNA, and all that. This could be of enormous benefit to people with genetic diseases!  Or people who have problems like sickle-cell anemia or Tay Sachs disease in their genes and want to have healthy children.

I would like to see a wooly mammoth--wouldn't you?  It would cost millions of dollars to make the first one, and it would be a pampered laboratory animal with a large private enclosure and plenty to eat.  I agree a zoo might not be the best life, but I don't see these animals being created for zoos.  We're certainly not going to make thousands of them and release them into the wild where much of their habitat has been destroyed and what's left will only last a few years more before global warming makes it a tropical jungle!  We're obviously not doing it for that purpose.  Or to sell wooly mammoth steaks (Paleo, you know!  And low fat!)

We are on the brink of a great period of advancement in the understanding of genetics.  If we can survive as a species long enough to take advantage of it.  And if it doesn't take US over by creating 'designer babies'.  Whales could soon be extinct.  And tigers.  And the great panda.  Would you like your great grandchild to never see a real tiger in his/her whole life?  I got to pet a tiger once!  Perhaps future generations will see live quaggas and passenger pigeons and dodo birds!  I just think that would be cool!

No. They couId mess up the whoIe ecosystem for starters - they won't be kept in captivity indefiniteIy. They aIready have pIans to farm mammoth tusks and things. The entire rest of the worId's scientific community considers it unethicaI, but now that it's aIready happening peopIe are just waiting and watching. In China, they're doing gene editing on human fetuses to try to aIter human DNA. In Japan, they just approved the creation of human-animaI hybrids so they can grow and harvest organs from them, etc... Definitely not the most moraI or ethicaI region of the worId. l hope this isn't what other countries wiII do as the world continues to deveIop. We couId be in for a bumpy ride

People want to bring them back for severaI reasons, and some reasons unknown

1.) For entertainment - to keep them in zoos and let people marveI at an ancient creature

2.) To farm and sell tusks. Siberia has a huge industry seIIing tusks from mammoths frozen in the tundra, but ofc they don't have unIimited mammoths

3.) 'To study them' .... l'm pretty sure this one is just a front, but they cIaim it wiII heIp to understand Iife on earth during their time and evoIution

4.) Legacy, fame, notoriety, share value, and money. Scientists and private firms have both tried cIoning mammoths so that they can be known for doing something 'revolutionary'. They want it to be their cIaim to fame

There is no reaI phiIosophicaI reason to bring them back

Why would the animals be miserable if we keep them in a simulated version of their native environment?