Job references?

can I ask my landlord for a reference for a job application?? would he still give me one or is it not considered as “professional”

If you worked for him, why not? If you did not work for him, then why would you list him as a reference?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

Sure you can, but what is he going to be able to tell a potential employee about your capabilities.

• I think he would be more of a personal reference then a professional one. Professional references should come from people you work with / for, or that you have previously worked with / for. If you're going to use them as a reference make sure you ask them and let them know if you're going to use them on an application.

• ?

Your landlord could give you a character reference, but not a work reference

• ?

A landlord is a business person so the landlord is a professional. It would be fine to use a landlord as a reference, they are getting paid which means you are reliable otherwise they wouldn't vouch for you.

• Rick B

You can, but he would have no idea of your work ethic.

How long has he known you?  How can he say if you are reliable and of good character?  Not a great choice.