Anyone here really familiar with cooking shrimp?

I would like to serve sauteed shrimp and spinach for a dinner party, but would like to make the shrimp ahead and add it to the spinach when sauteeing right before dinner so it can be served hot. This is so I can join my guests during appetizers.

Should I:

boil the shrimp first and then fry it two minutes per side and then refrigerate it until ready to sautee the spinach?

or should I dispense with the boiling?

Sorry, I know this may offend those of you who are seafood connoisseurs. But nobody is into raw here.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

To boil shrimp and then fry it will certainly overcook it and make it rubbery and unappealing. Shrimp takes very little time to cook and should be cooked and immediately served not boiled refrigerated cooked again and then served.

• olive_r3 weeks agoReport

Okay. Yeah, I guess that is funny. Thank you.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

Shrimp do not need a lot of heat to cook. If I were to prepare such a dish, I'd add both the raw prepared shrimp and the spinach to the hot saute pan at the same time, spinach on the bottom. put on a lid between stirs and generally when the spinach wilts, the shrimp is pink (which, as you know, indicates the shrimp is cooked).

• olive_r3 weeks agoReport

No, i didn't know but that's good information, thank you.

• 4 weeks ago

Dont do that. Your shrimp will be over done and little ballls of rubber

• olive_r4 weeks agoReport

Lol. I wondered about that.

• John
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It's not about offense, it's about bad shrimp. If I were serving for 20 guests I'd either serve something else or put them on skewers on the BBQ. I could probably fit 4-5 lbs on my grill that way.  I cook a pound of them in my huge frypan all the time - 2 lbs wouldn't be so different. Get a glass of wine and someone to talk to, crank up the heat and they'll be done inside of 5 minutes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

The shrimp will take about the same time as the spinach. 

Do not cook them in advance unless you decide to serve a Shrimp Cocktail as part of the appetizer and use a different meat for the main meal. 

Mmmm. Shrimp cocktail sounds wonderful. However, yeah, had wanted to do a shrimp entree.

• Linda
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

We buy frozen shrimp that has been mostly deshelled. Then defrost in cold water and remove the shells and then usually grill them during the summer months and warmer days. I have only grilled shrimp but if you go to pinterest there are tons of ways to cook shrimp. Check it out! 

Source(s): Shrimp on the barbee
  • R L
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

I would use a cast iron wok to cook in.....temp can reach 650 degrees...done in a few minutes

Hmm. Great. I do have a wok. It's not cast iron. But I'm sure the recipe book will cover shrimp. Thank you for reminding me.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Leave them raw and saute them when you're going to serve them.   It won't take any more time to cook them from raw than it will to reheat (overcook) them.

Shrimp cook very, very quickly and are easy to overcook.

You can certainly have them peeled and deveined before your guests arrive.  That is the time consuming part.

ETA:   You don't need a deveining tool.   Just a decent paring knife.   Yes, it's gross and boring, but no one wants to eat a prawn's poop chute.   :-)

Okay. Yecch. Lol ... to the deveining. Well, I do have a deveining tool ... i have never done it before, but there's a first time for everything! Thanks for the advice.

• CB
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I would saute the shrimp before serving, with lemon, wine butter, garlic, about half way through cooking toss in copious amounts of fresh spinach (it wilts to nothing very quickly) - toss a few times add a pat or three of butter salt and pepper and let butter melt and serve over pasta. 

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Shrimp only takes about 4 to 6 minutes to cook completely. There is really no need to cook it ahead.

• olive_r1 day agoReport

I am getting that idea : )

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.