Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 8 months ago

Need advice on this stray dog situation please?

There are many strays in the city,but the ones near my house I've been feeding since I shifted here. They're good,friendly dogs but some people around hate dogs and even poisoned some stray puppies recently.The weather can also get very bad during the rains and summer(though winters are milder).

I'm considering taking 2 dogs home but I'm not sure if I should.I go to work every day and I travel from time to time.

I don't know if I should i)ask people to adopt them ii)take them in iii)leave them outside,where they have freedom,and people feed them from time to time.

• libra

You have a soft heart like me princess, you can't save them all on your own. you could ask people to adopt them , and you could feed them ,but there will always be this problem. maybe it would help if you could get some of them neutered to stop them breeding. don't stop feeding them . I have run out of space to talk more.

Not your dogs. Stop feeding them and call AC to come pick them up. Leaving them there will end with them being poisoned , ran over and more. Its best AC picks them up and puts them down if they can't be adopted rather then allow the to roam 

• Amber

You'll likely make the situation worse by feeding them and this will encourage the dog haters to harm them (maybe).

There's too many to help. You'll need to call your local rescue or whatever you have in place in your country.

I know nothing about it as my country doesn't have a stray dog problem. Lived in the city 29 years not one stray/feral dog ever seen by me. A few lost soon to be found roaming, but not true strays. 

• Maxi

Feeding them will just encourage more and also encourage the dog haters to do more of what they are doing......... you work, you travel so you do not have the lifestyle to take in strays who would need daily training and LOTS of additional work to make them into pets.so you call animal control who will come and get them, health check them, feed /house them and any suitable to rehome they are the people who do that

• Jojo

I think you would regret taking a stray feral dog home. There would be many many problems as these dogs used to being free to scavenge and live in small packs of their own kind, and would not take easily, if at all, to being confined and with domestication. There are stray dogs the world over and many most are quite content to live feral. Its nice you feed them, but I`d advise not going any further with your concerns for them. You would be taking on something more than you could handle.Jmo. 

Much as you may think you are helping, stop feeding them.   And if it's that bad, call your authorities.   They may not come out immediately, depending on where you are and how bad the situation really is, but keep at them.   Unfortunately with strays, they won't be neutered so unless the situatiion is properly addressed, this will only continue.