Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 8 months ago

What is the The Odyssey about, what kind of story is it, do you prefer The Iliad or The Odyssey?

• Elaine

I cannot say that I prefer one over the other.  One is character driven (Iliad) and the other is action driven (Odyssey).  However it is in the Odyssey that we learn about the fates of some of the other Greek heroes who were at Troy. The Iliad gives us a more accurate picture of Bronze Age warfare and customs. From a literary point The Iliad is a better constructed epic than is The Odyssey. In addition The Iliad presents a better insight into human nature than does The Odyssey.  That being said for a flight of fancy it is difficult to top The Odyssey.  Young adult readers would probably prefer The Odyssey. 

The Odyssey is an imaginative adventure story. The Iliad is a war story, and uses much repetition. Epic poets used formulaic lines like "The rosy fingered dawn stretched across the sky" as fillers and to help them remember their place. The Iliad has a lot of "And the bronze spearpoint pierced his nipple/ thigh/ buttock/ " etc. I find the Iliad tiresome, but the Odyssey is exciting. HBO did a miniseries about it starring Armand Assante, and it's worth watching.

Watch the movie.