Anonymous

How are people still starving to death in the UK? Is it their fault?

On the radio I heard of people saying they're not able to put food on the table for themselves and choose to feed their kids first.

I just don't understand this because I work in the UK for minimum wage and I rent a 3 bedroom home, spend quite a bit on groceries, eat out occasionally and quite often spend around £150-200 a week on weed/pills.

Even after all that I'll probably have about £20-£30 left each week.

I have no assistance from the Government.

How are people still starving? I've lost jobs before and applied for new ones even taken myself to the Job Centre to get temporary work. I just can't see an excuse for it unless you're severely disabled... even if you were severely disabled you'd still get extra assistance for your disabilities.

I have friends that have kids and such and I've never heard of anyone saying they can't afford a £2 meal from Supermarket for tea.

• JASON

Don't forget people also owe money on loans they may have taken out in better times, or get deductions from their benefits for earlier overpayments, have to pay child support etc. I'm not saying anyone is starving to death but life's complicated. Also since the law relaxed the rules on gambling it's causing a lot of hardship for those addicted. No doubt the politicians have investments in these companies.

• Cogito

I've never seen any evidence or even allegation that anyone has starved to death in the UK in the past 50 years, other than in cases of child abuse.

But without knowing whereabouts you live, how much your rent and utilities bills are, etc, it's not possible to know if your circumstances are correct as you say.  Some areas of the UK have very low-cost housing, so maybe that accounts for it.

But personally, I have to continue working although I'm over pension age because my pension doesn't even cover my rent, bills and food, let alone clothes, travel, etc.

The average rent for a 3 bedroom house in Brighton is £1828 a month. In Blackpool it's £609. Minimum wage is the same in both places. You could afford a 5 bedroom house in Blackpool and still have nearly £200 left over for the price of a 1 bedroom flat in Brighton.

House prices aren't the only thing that is more expensive in different parts of the country, but it is certainly one of the biggest reasons many people live in poverty.

Raising children is expensive. They need nutrious food. They grow out of clothes quickly. Their medical needs cannot be ignored. There are costs to attending school. Parents can struggle to stay employed when their kids needs come first. What happens when kids are sick or on school vacations. Families have less mobility and ability to move when circumstances change, especially in the UK.

People starve everywhere. In all developed countries. From all walks of life.

There are many reasons. Some do not have £150/week to spend on anything.