What does a PlayStation 4 really sell for?

I think it should sell for under $150 without shipping, and with controller and power cable. Since PS5 is on the way, I assumed the value would drop. Another issue is that when I bid on consoles on Ebay, there seems to always be "shill bidding" going on.

Depends on the model. Between $250 and $500.

"I think it should sell for under $150 without shipping"

Sony already sells them at a loss. 

"Since PS5 is on the way, I assumed the value would drop"

But it's not out yet.  Why lose even more money when your replacement product (which will also lose money) won't be out for almost a year? The only reason to drop price is to liquidate old stock, and that only makes sense once you have the new console out.

• Robsteriark
      4 weeks agoReport

Thumb up for a good answer, but “selling at a loss” only happened very early in PS4 production and was a small loss that Sony made up with aftersales purchases. Increased scale of production and simplification of the design has hugely reduced costs and they now sell at a small profit.