Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Should journalist's be required to state their political affiliation in their byline?  If they're going to show their bias?

Read any article and you can feel their animosity or support of a political view.  Why can't they report the facts without bias?  I'm so tired of trying to read about what's happening - and it's not being written objectively - it's too often their opinion.  I can draw my own opinion - just give me the facts.    

Favorite Answer

Biased material should be on oped pages and not put out as straight news but that isn't what is happening now. Traditional journalism is pretty much dead.

Maybe they should do like NASCAR , team uniforms, lol.

• y

What makes you think they wouldn't lie about thier political affiliations or bias? I mean seriously, today's journalist lie pretty much about everything else as is.

• Yavan

You should probably go straight to the press agencies, then.

Reuters, for example: 

reuters.com.

or A.P.

https://apnews.com/apf-topnews

If it's news, it's news. The news-style of writing is such that it removes personal bias from the process. The problem is you say you can form your own opinion, yet we have evidence from users right here on Y!A that there are people who aren't smart enough to do that, who rely on other people to tell them what to think before they just squawk out "their" opinions (users like Justin Thyme, bil, and The Game, for example, are particularly notorious for this inability to think for themselves).