Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

What is the HIGHEST Name? JEHOVAH OR JESUS?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Ambar
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Jehovah. “May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth” - Psalm 83:18 

God’s name, Jehovah, comes from a Hebrew verb that means “to become,” and a number of scholars suggest that the name means “He Causes to Become.” This definition well fits Jehovah’s role as the Creator and the Fulfiller of his purpose. (Isaiah 55:10, 11) 

(See https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/wh...

Even Jesus’ name means “Jehovah Is Salvation”. Jesus is God’s son’s human name, and the name we continue to use for God’s son. 

[Jesus - Lat. form of the Gr. I·e·sousʹ, which corresponds to the Heb. Ye·shuʹaʽ or Yehoh·shuʹaʽ and means “Jehovah Is Salvation”]. 

( To learn more about Jesus see https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/ab...

• A Yahoo User
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Note that verse teaches that Jehovah is most high, not that the name "Jehovah" is the highest name. The Bible teaches us explicitly what the "highest" name is...and it's not "Jehovah".

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

Jehovah used the title “God Almighty” (ʼEl Shad·daiʹ) when making his promise to Abraham concerning the birth of Isaac, a promise requiring that Abraham have great faith in God’s power to carry out that promise. It was thereafter used when God was spoken of as the one who would bless Isaac and Jacob as heirs of the Abrahamic covenant.—Ge 17:1; 28:3; 35:11; 48:3. 

In harmony with this, Jehovah could later say to Moses: “I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as God Almighty [beʼElʹ Shad·daiʹ], but as respects my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them.” (Ex 6:3) This could not mean that the name Jehovah was unknown to these patriarchs, since it was frequently used by them as well as by others before them. (Ge 4:1, 26; 14:22; 27:27; 28:16) In fact, in the book of Genesis, which relates the lives of the patriarchs, the word “Almighty” occurs only 6 times, whereas the personal name Jehovah was written 172 times in the original Hebrew text. Yet, while these patriarchs had come to appreciate by personal experience God’s right to and qualifications for the title of “the Almighty One,” they had not had opportunity to appreciate the full meaning and implications of his personal name, Jehovah. In this regard, The Illustrated Bible Dictionary (Vol. 1, p. 572) comments: “The former revelation, to the Patriarchs, concerned promises belonging to a distant future; it supposed that they should be assured that He, Yahweh, was such a God (ʼel) as was competent (one possible meaning of sadday) to fulfill them. The revelation at the bush was greater and more intimate, God’s power and immediate and continuing presence with them being all wrapped up in the familiar name of Yahweh.”—Edited by J. D. Douglas, 1980. 

JW.ORG

• 4 weeks ago

Neither. Elohim is. Jesus claimed to be Jehovah incarnate, the creation and begotten son of God. "Before Abraham ever was, I AM."

• Funnelweb
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Neither do you, Mom. The J.W.s and the Mormons are both mistaken on this point.

• 4 weeks ago

The made-up word "jehovah" -- from 13th-century Catholic clergyman Raymundus Martini after he was commissioned to translate the Koine Greek Bible to Latin -- is an insult to the Almighty.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Jesus.

The word jehovah is fake, fake, fake.

• 4 weeks ago

Jesus.

Php 2:5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ JESUS: 6 Who, being in very nature[a] God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; ... 9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the NAME THAT IS ABOVE EVERY NAME, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

You make a very good point, which may explain why every OT in the NT is transliterated except for one.  YHWH is translated as the common word "Lord", the same word translated as "boss" or "master" which also could be applied to a person.

Also, are you sure "Jehovah" is even a real name?  It was in use in Moses' day, but still Moses had to ask God what was his name (Ex 3:13).  Granted one can sort of make that case from one passage (Ps 83:18), but the same is true for the words "Jealous, Holy, Lord Almighty and God Almighty" (Ex 34:14; Isa 57:15; Jer 32:18; Amos 5:27).  It appears the HS sometimes symbolically used descriptions of God as "names".  I mean who goes around saying, "I worship Jealous" or "What would Holy do?"  They are not real names, even though the Bible refers to them as "names" for God.

And if all that were not enough, there's the time Jesus did invoke the name "I AM" (Ex 3:14) to try to convince the Jews that he was God (which is why they tried to stone him for blasphemy; Jn 8:58) rather than YHWH.  Also nowhere in the NT is YHWH written.

True Christians honor Jesus and give glory to him, thus they wear the name "CHRISTian" and refer to their churches as being "of Christ" (Rom 16:16).

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

the Highest name is Jehovah who is the Father and Jesus Christ is the Son of Jehovah. YHWH. they are not one and the same

• Alan H
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

As the word Jehovah has no etymological validity, though the derivation does, and as 

Jesus is the western version of Yeshua...which means Yahweh liberates, it is rather academic.

What does matter is a living relationship.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Jehovus the hybrid.

• Lv 4
      4 weeks agoReport

lol

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

DRUGS ARE WITHIN YOU is consistently the HIGHEST name here.

She gets baked on her Breakfast Bong every morning before posting here.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.