Atheist here looking for a Christian perspective. I see a lot of Christians posting online about how their happy family is proof of a loving?

God. How God gave them a gift, God loves them and makes their lives better because of their faith. As an atheist, this seems very arrogant to me, considering children are born every day suffering, starving, disease riddled. I am willing to be wrong, but right now it almost angers me, like I want to shake those people that think their God is singling them out for a happy life. What do you make of this phenomenon among religious especially Christians? Am I just nitpicking over people giving thanks?

• Archer

Many attribute much to the 'gods' and all feel that it validates 'their' choice in the gods.

It isn't true of all of us. A happy and healthy family IS a blessing, but of course it is not reserved only to Christians.

I know Christians who fit this description - happy-go-lucky and clueless about all the suffering going on around them (including those who operate under the assumption that those who are suffering have 'obviously' done things to 'anger god') - but I also know Christians who are acutely aware of all of the suffering - and this actually makes them even more thankful that they have a family/home/jobs/etc.

Some will actually spend time, money, and resources to do something about it too.  I'm an agnostic/atheist, but I have volunteered alongside Christians who work with the homeless in our city - handing out clothing and food, helping to fix/build houses, and trying to give them a sense of dignity (one program offers hot showers and haircuts, as well as help trying to find jobs).

What's interesting is that I've never actually seen them proselytizing to the people they are helping.  If asked, they will say what church/organization they are with, and they might invite people to attend their church - but none of the services are contingent on accepting any belief system.

You justify your anger by accepting them as evil because they are less compassionate than you. That sounds like a Serpent.

• Mike

They are free to believe all that if it makes them happy.

It isn't proof of course, but they are happy and nothing you say will change their opinions.

They're just being thankful. You can understand that, can you?  I mean, do you reject every gift you receive with contempt? Do you instruct the gifter to give things to people who need it more than you?

• Papa-G

There are two ways to live your life.

One: Apply God's word in your life as best as possible and you are promised success.

Two: Do your own thing and wish for the best.

Think of it: If the whole world were applying Godly principles there would be no hungry people, no homeless people. Everyone would be taking care of his fellow human.

• Alan H

How does the happiness of one person contribute to the suffering of others?

Were they miserable, would it reduce that suffering?

Undoubtedly in addition, many of them are actively working to tackle those problems