Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 8 months ago

If heat and hot water is included with rent, can it be severely limited and would this be severely limited in your mind?

I just went on an interview to be the evening/weekend building superintendent of a small apartment complex. Each building has 8 one bedroom and 8 two bedroom apartments, there are 3 buildings.

The boiler looks small. There are also only two 80 gallon water heaters per building. The interviewer said they only warm the apartments to 55° day/evening and 50° night. If the tenant wants more heat, he can supply his own. Hot water is first come, first served. Two bedroom units have sleeved AC with 12,000 btu cooling and 10,600 btu heating. One bedroom units have sleeved AC with 10,600 btu for both. I bet those are some seriously high electric bills. I';ll also bet most units have too many portable electric heaters causing a fire hazard. Seems like this could be a problem.

Update:

Utica, NY USA not necessarily legal or not, could it be too taxing on electrical service.

Update 2:

The meter mains are 100 amps for every apartment

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Not everywhere in the US has minimum heat requirements.  Those that do are local laws.  As long as the heat meets the legal minimum ( if there is one) then they are not doing anything wrong.  

Space heaters can be a fire hazard when they are old or in disrepair, left unattended or have curtains or something to close to them.  Newer ones in good working order that are the proper distance from curtains & furniture should not be a problem.  But tenants are not always careful or very smart.

Water heaters usually are limited to a certain extent. It is just more limited when multiple units share one water heater.  That is pretty standard. 

• 8 months ago

Utica, NY gets pretty cold in the winter so I strongly suspect the landlord is required to provide heat.  The question is, how much heat are they required to provide? Try calling the county/ city office that handles code enforcement and ask them if this is within the law.  Assuming they are providing enough heat to be legal, then there is nothing you can do about this (except move).  

Even if this is legal (not saying it is, but if it is) it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask code inspection to come out and check the place out (ask them not to say that you made the request). Even if the heat is legal, it sounds to me like there may be other things they are doing illegally and maybe all those space heaters are a fire hazard and maybe other problems.

• 8 months ago

They can be limited within reason.  What you have explain is NOT within reason.  That landlord is risking being sued and raked over the coals by several different authorities.  He should not be including electric or water in the rentals because 55 degree would freeze my *ss off inside.  I hate it outdoors at 55 degrees.  And not providing hot water is criminal.  An 80 gallon hot water tank is sufficient for TWO PEOPLE, no more.  Why don't you report him to the health department and to the city and state and I suggest you look for a job elsewhere, because the tenants are going to be complaining to you and saying that you aren't fixing the problem.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

In Utica NY .....those tenants must be freezing their asses off.....upstate gets really cold.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

What heat level they need to provide would be a state or local law.

Yes, heat can be limited. Hot water cannot usually.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Limits can be put on, but that's ridiculous.

• 8 months ago

as far as the bills, if the tenants were told up front that heat was partial electric...how much they pay is not an issue....it was their choice.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

"can it be severely limited"   Are you asking if this is legal?   If yes, how on earth would we know?   You didn't bother to give us the most very basic of information such as the location (city/state/country).   The word is large and has many different laws. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.